News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Element for stock air cleaner

Started by ROKuberski, 2015-11-09 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

It looks like I am going to be getting a stock air cleaner for my car.  Can anyone tell me what they are using for the element.  Concours Parts carries one for $17.95 + shipping.  I was hoping that there is an off the shelf unit that I could use.

Thanks,

Rich

lalessi1

Rockauto lists a Fram CA151 for a 292, $9.89.... they also show a Wix 42050 for $9.20.
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

Duh, I don't know why I didn't look there too. 

Thanks,

Rich

hiball3985

I bought a WIX but it didn't have the lip needed to make the seal between the body and lid..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2015-11-09 13:56
Lynn,

Duh, I don't know why I didn't look there too. 

Thanks,

Rich

I thought that might get a "duh" :003:.... you actually turned me on to Rockauto, I just ordered Aerostar springs, Moog upper ball joints and Moog lower control arm bushings this morning!
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

I'll just chalk it up to "grey hair disease." 

Sounds like you have a nice project going.  A while back, I took apart the whole front suspension.  Disassembly is easier than reassembly.  If you want to talk, I'll pass on what I learned.  I bought a kit of parts that someone had put together on eBay and, strangely enough, everything fit.

Do you have access to a press to remove and replace the bushings? 

If any of you guys are having a slow day, here is a 5 minute video I made about my car.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0yd0-9HpCk

Rich

lalessi1

I am rebuilding the entire front suspension. I have a pair of '59 upper control arms and I am installing a Quickor 1" swaybar. I am also going to ditch my Torino spindles and go back to stock spindles and use Aerostar springs to lower the car. I am going to use the brake kit you did. We pressed out the lower bushings using a large vise and a short piece of pipe. I have one side apart...no problems, hopefully all goes well with the other side. I have 3 bare control arms now....
Lynn

ROKuberski

I got my air cleaner yesterday.  The ad said it was for a 4V carb and I have a 2V, but from what I could glean, it should fit.  Another issues for me is that a while back I learned that I had a 1958 carb.  Well, bottom line it that it fits, but I had to rotate the air cleaner about 20 degrees for it to lay flat without interference.  Not a big deal.  I also had to make a new hold down bolt.  The bolt on the carb is a 5/16" going down and 1/4 going up.  I just took a 5/16" Bolt and chucked it up in my lathe and center drilled it, then opened it up so I could tap it for 1/4-20 and inserted a stud the right length.  The Fram CA 151 filter is a perfect fit.  Auto Zone could not get it and O'reily's had it at the warehouse for $9.95 less the 10% veteran's discount.  I now need to media blast it, do some minor sheet metal dent repair and paint it silver.  It appears to have a factory red finish now.  Maybe it was on a T-Bird.

Rich

hiball3985

The only difference I could see between the 2V and 4V is the size of the snorkel when I compared mine to a friends on his 312. I have a 2V version on my 4V and hope to find a 4V version in the future.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

Jim,

From what I had read, the size of the air intake port was the only difference between the 2V and the 4V.  Seems stupid to me to have created two very similar, but different air cleaners.  I need to get my inspection mirror out and see what the interference is that is keeping it from sitting in the proper orientation.  I currently assume that the 1958 carb is a little different from the stock unit.

The air cleaner I have appears to be factory red and it has some minor sheet metal dings on it.  There are also a few very minor places where rust shows under the paint.  Only about 3/8" dia. in a couple of places.  If you want to consider a trade let me know and we can swap pictures.  I will measure the intake port for you so you can make sure it is the larger size.

Rich 

hiball3985

Rich, yes the size of the intake port, which I called a snorkel is the only difference that I am aware of between the 2v and 4v. I don't think you would want mine, I have modified the area that sits on the carb to fit my Holley carb and have the intake facing forward and I have a hole in the body to accept a hose that is part of my PCV system. I'm only running a 390 cfm Holley so the 2v air cleaner is probably getting enough air.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

FYI,
All 57 V-8 Single 4bl &2bl Air cleaner housings are the same,  (B7A-9600-C)
58 292 Only are the same.
The housings are painted Argent Silver(same as the frt splash pan and P/S cover top).
The red ones started about 1960 as i remember.
The 57 Filter element is about 9  7/16" x 3.5" high (B7A-9601-C).
Originally they were yellow paper with orange rubber.

Ron.

ROKuberski

Ron,

Thanks for the information.  I still haven't looked to see exactly what is preventing my air cleaner from sitting so that the text "front" in in the front, but it's really not that big a deal.  The unit came with an original filter element in it.  It was a chore to remove it.  The seals really had a grip on the metal.  I kind of folded it in on itself and got it out.  The Fram filter is a perfect fit.

Rich

hiball3985

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2015-11-16 00:17
FYI,
All 57 V-8 Single 4bl &2bl Air cleaner housings are the same,  (B7A-9600-C)
58 292 Only are the same.
The housings are painted Argent Silver(same as the frt splash pan and P/S cover top).
The red ones started about 1960 as i remember.
The 57 Filter element is about 9  7/16" x 3.5" high (B7A-9601-C).
Originally they were yellow paper with orange rubber.

Ron.
You are correct, I finally chased down two guys with 312 4V carbs and it's the same size as he one on my 292. I don't remember where I was mislead thinking they were different.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

I picked up a new Fram CA151 filter, and guess what, It's a WIX filter with Fram markings, black and doesn't seal correctly like the Fram. I read not long ago the Wix was bought out by Fram. I stocked up on Wix oil filters fearing they would be replaced by the cheaper Fram. But it appears some air filters are being replaced by Wix.. I hate mergers

Even the packaging is different, no orange box, it's a white box with a Fram label..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang