News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wheel questions

Started by jvo, 2015-11-12 21:53

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

It will be okay.  Pic a part didn't have anything for me that I wanted. My brother gave me the 12 bolt posi, 3.73 gears and an Auburn posi with less than 6 thousand miles on it.  Rearend was just gone through and checked out.  Talked to my machine shop guy, who just did this for his 64 Chevy truck, and he will do the machine work on the axles, respline them if there is enough material, and drill the axles to 4 1/2 bolt pattern as well. He can also cut new grooves for c clips, so there won't be a huge change in the rearend.
I usually steer clear of our local machine shops, as you can't get a bushing made for a lawn mower wheel for less than 300 bucks it seems.  Machining around here doesn't come cheap.   He won't charge me, but will trade his time for some metal work on his chevy pickup.  Win win situation.  I'll be tearing the axles out of the rearend as soon as I get the time to do it, so I know whether there is too much taper to respline them.  Will have to shorten them about 6 inches each side.  Will probably end up still buying a set of axles, but we will see I guess.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)