News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351W Performer RPM hood clearance?

Started by topdeadcenter, 2015-12-08 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic

topdeadcenter

Hey guys,

I bought a stock rebuilt 351W long block (1993 Truck) from a guy that was going to throw it in a mustang project that never happened.  I know that "stock" (200hp/310tq) just won't do it for me or Pa.  I have my eye on the Edelbrock Performer RPM top end kit (400hp/412tq).  If I buy it before the end of the year, Edelbrock throws in a carb.  Seems like a pretty good deal with free shipping. 

BUT before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure that the carb/intake/air cleaner will clear a stock hood using Butch's motor mounts.  Anyone have this set up?  I did a search, only found FE related posts.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

PS ignore the trashed valve covers in the pic.  There was an unfortunate incident while unloading the engine from the trailer. 
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

1957 Ranchero (Basket Case)
1959 Thunderbird (Restored)
1954 Ford Customline (Mild 50's custom)

hiball3985

I don't recall anyone having a problem using a W motor but I'm not an expert. But I'm pretty sure you can't use the truck rear sump pan with stock front suspension..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

You will have no problems with the hood.  You will need a front sump pan and pickup.  Both readily available. Note, a 302 pan will not fit, the rear main seal is larger on the 351.  Use Fox body engine mounts, will only require minor hole mods on the chassis mounts to put you business.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

topdeadcenter

Yep, I did enough reading here to know that the front sump pan and pickup are requirements.   :001:

Thanks for the info on the hood clearance.  I am pretty close to pulling the trigger.  I can't see a downside to this set up... anyone have other thoughts?
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

57chero

I have a 351W with the performer intake, 3" air cleaner and butch`s motor mounts plenty of room.

lalessi1

Hood clearance is a great thing about "57's! :003:
Lynn

SkylinerRon

I'd prefer a 312 with a Mummert top end kit myself.
W swaps are getting like *hevs, too common to be different.

Goodluck,

Ron.

57AGIN

Mike:

I have a Custom 300 Tudor with a 351W, Butches Rod Shop motor mounts the Edelbrock RPM Series heads, cam and their Air Gap intake manifold.  I've had no hood clearance issues and also have mounted a Paxton-Novi 1200 supercharger with a large carburetor box on top and still have had no hood clearance issues. The only hood clearance issues I've had were concerns with the radiator fill cap & the hood, but with some clay material this issue was put to rest my hood cleared fine.

Bob
57 AGIN

topdeadcenter

Thanks Bob!  I am now sure that there isn't going to be an issue.  Super jealous of your setup!  I bet that hauls!

Ron:  Good thing this car isn't being built for you, right?  Sorry that my dad's choice of a Ford in a Ford, doesn't meet with your approval.
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

SkylinerRon

No problem, each to their own.
I'm just partial to Y-Blocks and the
Mummert package is killer.

Goodluck,

Ron.

rmk57

If I could do a redo on my engine choice I'd like to do a 351 stroker with a turbo. Start with a Dart block and build it from there.

Far as the hood clearance thing my 514 has a weiand stealth intake which is about as tall as they come without going to a tunnel ram. I have about a 1/2 clearance, but that is with a 1" drop base air cleaner.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jimburnaugh

Hello 57agin, nice motor, what headers are you using?  I like the long tube over the short bbk1511

57AGIN

Jimburnaugh:

The headers are Doug's Tri-Y's, I believe they were originally built for 1962-65 Fairlanes with 260 - 302 Small Block Ford engines.  When I bought them and had Doug's install them They did have to so some slight modifications on tube #4 in order to clear the steering box and Z-bar.  I decided on going with the Tri-Y's based on what they told me about the options they had for street/strip cars as opposed to just strip cars.  If my memory is correct, it had to do with providing more torque at a lower RPM.  I've been happy with them, they have been on the car since 2002 and have about 20,000 miles on them.  When I got them I had Doug's ceramic coat them and rest of the entire exhaust system they had built for me and I've recently had Specialized Coatings do the headers only over again on the outside with Chomex Ceramic and inside with Insul Kote Ceramic Barrier.  They should run a little cooler now that they are done inside and out. 

In the photo history on my 57's build I did 2 pages on the original installation of the headers and I recently took a photo of one of the headers as it was coming out of the oven at Specialized Coating.

Bob
57 AGIN

topdeadcenter

All the parts are on order.  Should be here Monday.  Butch's kit has already arrived.  Going to be a merry christmas at my house.  LOL!
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

JPotter57

You wont have ANY problems with a Performer rpm.  I had a Super Victor on my aluminum headed stroker 351 from a few years ago, and thats about as tall an intake as you can get outside of a tunnel ram.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.