News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351W Performer RPM hood clearance?

Started by topdeadcenter, 2015-12-08 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2015-12-09 02:51
Mike:

I have a Custom 300 Tudor with a 351W, Butches Rod Shop motor mounts the Edelbrock RPM Series heads, cam and their Air Gap intake manifold.  I've had no hood clearance issues and also have mounted a Paxton-Novi 1200 supercharger with a large carburetor box on top and still have had no hood clearance issues. The only hood clearance issues I've had were concerns with the radiator fill cap & the hood, but with some clay material this issue was put to rest my hood cleared fine.

Bob
57 AGIN

Bob, very nice sir. I'm envious. I have a question........what is the "distribution" block, with the SS braided hoses and AN fittings,
that is on the fire wall in the second photo?
Thanks
John

57AGIN

John:

The "distribution block" mounted to the firewall was installed because I thought the various vacuum hoses used in conjunction with the Paxton-Novi supercharger setup really looked messy.  There are vacuum lines running from the MSD Boost Timing Master (for every 1 lb of boost it takes out 2 degrees of timing to prevent detonation on 91 octane), also to the boost gauge mounted beside the tachometer on my steering column, to the fuel pump, to the blow-off valve, etc.  So when I had the air intake mounted inside the fender behind the headlight and the red silicone pressure hoses installed, instead of the cheap ugly corrugated black ducting going from the supercharger to the blower box enclosing the carburetor, I had the vacuum lines done, too.  It really cleaned up a somewhat cheap looking installation to something that does the job and looks a heck of a lot better. IMO

Bob
57 AGIN

KYBlueOval

Bob........very nice.It really looks great and one can readily tell that a lot of thought went into this project. I will "borrow" the way you handled the battery cables.
John

57AGIN

KYBlueOval:

Thanks for the compliment, but most of the wiring ideas were Rick's.  He is a super guru when it comes to putting ideas into fabrication.  You should see his 57 TUDOR which is almost back together and ready for shows and driving.  I'll leave it to him to show everyone on the site, but he sure has my admiration.

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

Mike, what trans are you planning to use with that combination? I have a 351W mocked up in my 57 ranchero, on Fox mustang mounts, the T-5 trans required some carving of the tunnel. I did install it on a close to level plane, I think the engine would have to be tilted to the rear to clear the tunnel.Good to see another Wisconsin 57 owner in the group, I used to run dirt late models at Seymour.   Mark

topdeadcenter

Pa's arthritis says that an AOD is the plan.

You still live in the area?
~The Throw-Outs C.C.~
           N.E. WI

1957 Ranchero (Basket Case)
1959 Thunderbird (Restored)
1954 Ford Customline (Mild 50's custom)

Frankenstein57

Mike, I'm in the Waukesha area, about 1/2 hour West of Milwaukee. We go to Shawano every year when the Lucas oil late models run a show on their way to Red Cedar speedway.Mark