News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

distributor

Started by glenmichael, 2015-12-12 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

I am new to this site and this is my first question .We are installing a 1983 460 into my 57 custom using the set up from Crites. We would like to keep the distributor  and coil simple any help out their?

Ford Blue blood

351C and 429 distributors from 1970 will bolt in and give you a point breaker ignition with a simple coil hookup. 

Welcome aboard by the way.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

The DuraSpark distributor isn't too bad for a stock engine.  Since you already have one, Google DuraSpark wiring and you will find schematics to wire up the OEM distributor, module and coil.  I ran one for a couple of years and it worked good (cheap too).  I still have the homemade harness and instructions...just in case.

Ford Blue blood

I agree on the DuraSpark as well.  My 36 has a duraSpark that was put in when I built the car in the late 70s.  First fired it in 80 and it has not missed a beat since then, little over 137K and all the potting has run out of the box.  Points are just easier to wire up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

glenmichael

I do enjoy this site! Thank you for the information. I was thinking about the old school look and feel, but maybe I need to learn more about the DuraSpark system.

lalessi1

I used a Pertronix electronic module that replaces the points and condenser. I also used a Pertronix coil and I removed the decal so it looked stock (it doesn't use a ballast resistor). 
Lynn

rmk57

I use a MSD 6AL2 and keep the points as there only there to trigger the MSD unit. MSD blaster coil and your good to go.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

glenmichael

Thanks , I googled  Dura-Spark II ignition system and a couple hours later walked away with a new outlook!! The 1983 460 we are using has 50,000 miles and runs good, we changed the oil pan to fit the 57 and added Headers from Crites, hopefully it will fit!!A new intake and carburetor. We have decided to tune-up the Dura-Spark distributor and look at the Blue Strain Module and stock Ford Coil, maybe the best bang for buck at this time.  Do you guys think we are on the right path??

gasman826

Great start!  While still on the engine stand, easy things I do for peace of mind.  Even though 50k miles is considered low by todays standard, I would replace the rear main seal, oil pump, really inspect the soft plugs and if any question, replace them...they rust from the inside out...cheap and easy fix now but nasty job once in the vehicle.  Go back to the front and change out the timing chain for pre-'1974 chain and gear preferably the factory all steel roller chain style.  I'm guessing the donor vehicle was a truck so did it have an electric fuel pump?  Anyway, inspect the fuel pump cam.  Make sure the timing chain cover is not corroded, has mechanical fuel pump boss, and the correct dip stick.  Since they are already removed, replace the fuel pump, water pump and the front crank seal.  Sounds like a lot but all these changes would really ruin your day doing the fix after the engine is installed.  If you really want to wake that engine up, send the distributor out for recurve but that can be saved for later...maybe next winter.

glenmichael

Thanks gasman826! We are in the process of all the above and more, I have acquired all the stock Dura-spark ignition parts and pcs. except the ballast resister wire, looking for Ideas? We also have read up on distributor re-curve and I like the idea. We are going to look for a kit and give it a try!

gasman826

Consider an external ballast resister similar to what was OEM for '57.  Curve kits are great if you get the springs and weights your engine needs.  There are several services available to send your distributor and they will refurbish as well as use a distributor machine to proof the correct setup for your engine (somewhere around $150.00).

glenmichael

Thanks to all for the helpful information!! My brother-in-law/Mechanic/builder has the 460 ready for install,hopefully all goes as planed.. I will update as we progress.

lowrider

I converted my yblock to a Duraspark system a few years ago. If you can get the factory looms that came with the dist. it makes the installation go easier. I picked up an older resistor wire to run on mine and spliced it in under the dash. Cleans up the engine compartment a bit. I noticed right away how much easier it starts.