News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

HELP. Butchs motor mounts

Started by Jimburnaugh, 2016-01-04 18:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimburnaugh

Need some help, installed 351w using small block ford pickup mounts, motor sat too low, BBK 1511 headers wouldn't fit, so I bit the bullet and bought Butchs motor mounts, installed them per instructions, using holes shown and didn't fit right. Raised mounts up and now I think motor is too high, headers still dont fit, drivers side valve cover is hitting firewall.  Enclosed are pictures, I'm at wits end, what am I doing wrong? 

Jimburnaugh

Another picture

Jimburnaugh

Another picture

Jimburnaugh

Valve cover on firewall

wv 57s forever

I have a 351w in my car, used motor mounts from 67 fairlain, and a piece of pipe welded to the frame mounts. I have never had any trouble with it. Motor is 30 over flat tops comp thumper cam air gap intake 100 hp shot of nitrous c5 with c4 valve body from tci 2500 stall converter 411s with slicks. Plenty of room every where.

gasman826

1964 Galaxie 289 mounts on Rock Auto for $5.28

fdlrc

Jim, I know we talked earlier but I wanted to post this info for others.

I also used Butch's motor mounts on my 6 cylinder car that I installed a 90 Mustang 5.0 with T5 tranny. I have plenty of room for tall valve covers.

I have a Borgeson power steering box. The shorty headers I used fit perfect.

I tried the BBK headers they did not fit. I also tried Sanderson headers-no go (all returned by the way). I bought a set of Pypes headers # HDR50S from  lmr.com. These fit perfect. 
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Jimburnaugh

I got the motor mount issue resolved, had the wrong block mounts, Terry at Butchs sent me correct block mounts , fit perfect.  Problem now is headers, tried theBBK 1511, didn't fit, hits steering box, spoke to Les from the forum he used Pypes headers, ordered those, also don't fit, because of steering box.  Any suggestions?  Too expensive to have custom headers made.  I think theroblem is I have a 351w with aluminum heads, Skip White basically Pro Comp. anybody have a similar setup with headers that fit? 

Jimburnaugh

wv 57s forever, what headers are you using?

fdlrc

Jim, Did the Pypes headers bolt on your 351 heads? Was it just not enough room between engine and steering box? Did the passenger side fit? Les

Jimburnaugh

The pass side would fit but drivers side, steering box dead in the way, without major surgery to the pypes, wouldn't fit.  Good news though, ordered a cheap set of full length headers from Summit, they fiterfect with no issues other than trans cross member, so I had a xmember fabricated. 

RICH MUISE

Hey Les.....I'm a little slow sometimes...I just tied your fdlrc label to who you were. I had been wondering why you hadn't been posting, when you actually were!
Guys...I met Les and his wife Kelly (hope I remembered that correctly) last year in Colorado Springs. Les is the one I posted about taking me for a ride in his 57 to an ice cream shop.
Anyway, perfect timing ...I'm going to be hopefully headed your way next weekend for the tri-state swap meet and would sure enjoy meeting up again. I sure enjoyed our first visit. Send me a pm with your phone number if you would. Did you finally get to retire?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fdlrc

Rich, I sent you a PM. Les

wv 57s forever