News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Master Cylinder help!

Started by robhaerr, 2016-01-09 12:50

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Hey Gang...

When I bought this car, the first thing I had done was a power brake kit, disc on front and the drums in rear. That was 10 years ago. Now the pedal is spongy and I cannot get the rear brakes to bleed with no air bubbles. The front are fine. My buddy thinks I need to replace the master cylinder.

Problem is that I do not know what specific kit was used. The shop that did the conversion did not give me any of the kit info, they just did the work. (My error...hey...I was younger then). There is no proportioning valve.

See the photos below...what master cylinder would replace this one?

Thanks as always!

Rob

KidKourier

Rob,   You might try Classic Pertormance Products(CPP) in Placentia,Ca. or PerformanceOnline(POL) in Corona,Ca. both online,or freeway close for eyeball visuals!Don't forget Grand National Roadster Show at end of month,may find what you need at one of the vender displays(they make deals).  KID KOURIER

Ford Blue blood

Looks like a 76 Granada power disc/drum master cylinder. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

If you have to pull the master off and take it to a brake supply company not an auto parts store, they should know exactly what it is. Did you check that both little holes in the bottom of the master rear reservoir are clear? The little hole gets plugged up sometimes.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Wirenut

You could try disconnecting the rear brake line at the master cylinder and connect a tube that loops back into the reservoir simulating a bench bleed and that will let you know if you have any fluid coming through the passage before you remove the complete unit. Most auto parts sell the rebuild kits as long as you determine the bore size. They'll check that for you with their caliper. Good luck.