News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Weight 8 vs. 6

Started by fdlrc, 2016-01-30 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

fdlrc

Yanked out the six (223 with 3 speed), replaced with Mustang 5.0 and T-5. The scale speaks for itself.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

fdlrc

I hope these pics make it, as I forgot to down size the pics for this post. The 8 came in at 590 lbs, the 6 at 675 lbs.

RICH MUISE

Very interesting, Les......and I'm assuming your new block is cast iron?????? Makes me wonder about the 719 lbs I was told my 4.6 with 4r70w tranny weighs, and my block, heads, and tranny case are all aluminum. I was also told mine was 60 lbs less than the oem six, which by your scale would make the weight on mine closer to 615, confirming the reason for my ride height problem.
Now, the question of the day...did you by any chance measure your ride height in the front before you pulled the 6 out? It'll be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in ride height when the 8 goes in. Thanks for posting that....sounds like you've been following our discusions on ride height/weight differences.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

fdlrc

I have 2.5" drop spindles, stock six cyl. springs, 215/55/17 front tires. Cast iron block with al. heads and intake. Before my engine swap I had 10.5" from ground to bottom of front bumper. Now I have 11.5". I like that I gained the inch.

canadian_ranchero

ford says the mark 8 4.6 dohc is 440 lbs dry,ford also says the 223 is 520 lbs dry.the y block is about 650 lbs.these numbers are for the engines only

RICH MUISE

Les...some time when you get a minute, could you get an approx. measurement from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel well. That seems to be the place most of the guys are using for comparison as there is less variables involved. That ride height does look good.

fdlrc

Rich, I got 17.75 inches to center of hub to bottom of fender well, Les

RICH MUISE

17.75? Really? I was expecting your to be about 13 or so. some of the guys with lowered front ends are in the 12 1/4 range, and mine looks almost like a gasser at 16 1/4.

fdlrc

From the top of my tire to fender well is 6 inches.

fdlrc

I just took these.

fdlrc

From ground to bottom of front rocker panel is 7.25 inches, the is at 8.5.

RICH MUISE

My bad.....You gave me exactly what I had asked for, lol. I misspoke when I asked to measure to the bottom of the fender WELL. What we're all comparing is the center of the wheel/hub straight up to the fender opening
Here's a pic of mine, so you can see how high mine is at 16 1/4. Sorry about that.

fdlrc

Okay, drum roll...........I'm at 12.75. I really like the rear wheels.

RICH MUISE

Great, thanks Les. Ha, My rear wheels in my pic.? Long story, but when I finally decided on which wheels I wanted, I ended up with three of what I needed...had to wait 2 months for the 4th to get off backorder! Good thing it wasn't ready for the road anyway.

Forgot to comment on the weights Gary posted. 210 lb. difference in y-block to the 4.6..... wow. That would sure explain why my car is so much higher than others. I wonder what the total weight of my car is....have to get it weighed this summer. Thanks for posting that info, Gary.

fdlrc

I took mine over the scales last fall. With a 1/4 tank of gas and nobody in the car it weighted 3380 lbs. This is with the stock 6 cylinder and 3 speed.