News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Weight 8 vs. 6

Started by fdlrc, 2016-01-30 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

i put in heavy duty station wagon V8 front springs.after reading this post it looks like i should have left the 6 cyl springs in

RICH MUISE

I'm so confused on the issue right now, I don't know what to say. I had the aerostars put in today with a 1" spacer. I was expecting a 3" or so drop, but I got a 4 1/2" drop!!. I measured the springs that came out, now that I actually have physical dimensions of what it was suppose to be, and found out the springs apparently were not what they were suppose to be. The springs they sent were suppose to be 15 1/2 free length. They were 16" at least. Granted, a 1/2 " isn't that much, but it's enough to tell me I don't know what was in there load rating-wise.
With that said, I do not believe the 6 cyl springs were the lightest anyway. Of the 8 springs Ford used oem, Eaton Detroit caries 3 of them as in-stock, with the 6 cyl being the middle. Go figure.
With your lift, I'd just wait and see whaere you're at when everything is loaded on.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Springs can be difficult to guess. Some 6&8's use the same springs. Depends on body style and equipment.
A/C cars had a spacer at the top of the spring, in later years a different spring. A good stiffer spring is a
the 64 galaxie 390 w/ a/c & p/s. I used them on my 1st 57 and cut a coil for height. Yours w/ the lighter engine
will be tough to match, think i would call a spring co. and tell them exactly what you have and ask for a recommendation.

You may end up just cutting a quarter turn at a time off a stock spring for height. With good shocks and bars it should
handle well.

Goodluck,

Ron.