News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

460 Motor mounts

Started by JimNolan, 2016-02-09 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys, I'm helping a buddy install a 460 engine in a 1956 Fairlane Gasser. It has a tilt front end also. We need to know where to get the motor mounts. Don't they make mounts that don't required welding on the original cross member. Thanks
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Jim...I belong to a social club on the Hamb that covers 52-59 Fords...I'll see what I can find out over there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

RICH MUISE

Nothing substantial so far. One member commented since SBF mounts for a Fox bodied Mustang work in a '56, the BBF mounts for the Fox bodied should work also. He also said a friend used modified mounts from a Lincoln.

OUTLAW

Contact Crites Restoration and see if their 460 57 stuff will work........Rick.

JPotter57

The BBF mounts for Fox body are only f250 mounts with a spacer added.  They are very big and bulky.  If I were building a gasser type car, I would just weld up a set of solid mounts and be done with it.  I made the solid engine and trans mounts for my car, and they put both exactly where I want them.  Took about 3 hours of cutting, fitting, and welding.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

I used mid '70s Lincoln mounts that required modification to the '57 frame by adding a portion of the Lincoln frame's engine stands.  Not a bolt in but got the engine exactly where I wanted it.  Might not be worth the effort.  FYI, mock up with headers and oil pan.  Header room is premium.  Get it as close to the firewall as possible.  Water pump to radiator clearance is also premium.  C6 will require adding tunnel clearance.

gasman826

more photos (too big)

rmk57

I made my own mounts. Like gasman says I installed the engine far rearward as possible with crites headers, Milidon pan. Fabbed up 3/16" plates for the frame and motor,
bolted them on then leveled everything and just filled in the gap with 1 1/4" square tube. I have about 3/8" from the rear header tube to the steering box and about 1/2" from the left rocker cover to the firewall.

The c-6 will rub the trans tunnel, but what I did was ground down the two outer ribs on the case and now have about 3/4" clearance, and that's with no "massaging" the tunnel.

Even with the short C8SE t-bird/ Boss water pump and no fan spacer it was still to close for my liking,  so I trimmed the rad support for a larger aluminum rad and fan clutch.
My 460 is now a 514 now and it never gets any hotter than 190 degrees.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Jim...here's a link to the Hamb thread I started. Starting to get some responses there from the '56 guys, and one who has a new set of Crites he'll sell.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bolt-on-motor-mounts-for-460-in-a-56.1008351/#post-11382855

JimNolan

Thank you guys. And Rich, I'm passing this information to my buddy on the guy that wants to sell his on the HAMB.

RICH MUISE

If you need me to contact him thru the Hamb, let me know.