News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Need Help !!!

Started by kens65fb, 2016-02-10 15:05

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

After installing the S & T rack on my 57 Ranchero a few years ago, we finally have the car about ready to drive.
I have been trying to source the power steering hoses, with little luck, most local shops either don't make, or don't want to bother making hoses.
I think that I have most of the parts except the 5/8 -18 inverted flare fitting, I have been able to find the 18mm for the other side.
I have also have the 16MM fitting & the return hose
Can anyone help me out?  Can anyone source one locally for me, or point me in the right direction
I have been searching online, but mostly it leads to a dead end.
By the way, the pressure side of the rack, is the uppermost fitting, not the lower one, correct??
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RICH MUISE

Sounds like the post I did a year ago.
Any fittings you need can be had at www.purechoicemotorsports.com. Look at their banjo fittings while your on the site...makes access to the fittings on the rack much easier.
What are you using for power steering "power"?...just straight from the pump to the rack, or are you using a ps pump powered hydroboost as well?
I made all my hoses using aerquip braided line, but I believe Pure Choice may be able to supply hoses as well, if you can't find a local hydraulic supply house to make them for you.
I won't trust my memory to tell you which fittings on the rack are high and low pressure. I do remember they are backwards from a Ford Rack, and I also remember I had what I thought was correct confirmed by Purechoice. They're top notch when it comes to fittings and info on any automotive plumbing sytems.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Found my thread...look in steering and suspension...about 10 threads down..."another question on rack and pinion"

kens65fb

This is the back of the pump, what kind of fitting do I need ?

RICH MUISE

I sure don't have a clue. The pump on my 4.6 was different, but once again, the guys at Pure Choice will know, if you don't get replies here.

rmk57

Quote from: kens65fb on 2016-02-10 15:41
This is the back of the pump, what kind of fitting do I need ?

37degree JIC ?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

kens65fb

I already bought

(1) Russell Powerflex  18mm to 6AN adapter
(1) Russell Powerflex  16mm to 6AN adapter
(1) Russell Powerflex 6 AN Power Steering Hose  (6 feet)

I just need the 5/8-18  female inverted flare to 6AN  fitting for the back of the pump

I cant find one anywhere

lalessi1

Lynn

kens65fb

I can't beleive it, I was just going  to post this link.
ftp://http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640610/overview/

kens65fb

It looks like it would work, anybody have an opinion ??

57 imposter

I got fittings that would adapt to inverted flare. then bought the blue braided aeroquip hose and swivels and made my high pressure hose. You can get it at any hose shop and you can assemble it yourself, or if you have your length, they will do it for you. The only mod I had to make was to silver solder the inverted flare adapter onto the pipe off of the Ford power steering pump. That blue hose is rated to, I believe, around 3000 PSI so it will more than handle power steering. I've used it on three different cars with no issues. really a simple and quick fix 

kens65fb

I give up !!!

This is ridiculous

I got the 5/8 -18 inverted female flare from summitt

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640610/overview/

The photo of the fitting is a STOCK photo, the actual fitting from russell, is shorter, on the 5/8 side with only a few threads, and bottoms out  before going on, I checked with them, and they said that is the only fitting they make that is that size

On top of that, the threads on the power steering pump, had become boggered up at some time in the last year.

What is a good pump to use with the ST Fabrications rack.

I was going to use a pump from a 69 fairlane, as it seemed a good fit, but that 5/8-18 inverted female flare is impossible to get.

Since I need a new pump, anybody have any suggestions for a pump without the need 5/8 -18 fitting

lalessi1

Sorry about that... I was planning on using a Saginaw pump on my car when I get there...
Lynn

Limey57

Whenever I pipe up a new P/S pump I go to my local hydraulic fittings company and hand them the bits & they rummage around in their stock and supply every fitting I need for a lot less than the likes of Summit. 
Gary

1957 Ranchero