News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FPA headers for a FE and 4 speed Qs.

Started by 59meteor, 2016-02-12 01:16

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

After sitting for many years, I am finally working on my 59 Meteor 2 dr sedan. (Same as a Custom 300). I will be rebuilding a 428 Cobra Jet engine that I have had hanging around the garage for over 25 years, along with a 4 speed Toploader with a Lakewood scattershield.I have talked to guys who have modified Hooker headers for either a 67-70 Mustang (Hooker 6114), or 66-69 Fairlane (Hooker 6113). As I understand it, either header will work with moving 1 or 2 tubes, but the 6113 s hang down too low for my tastes, and it seems that either header, as well as the FPA TriY Mustang headers all dump the collector directly into the trans crossmember. I see Crites makes a custom crossmember, which adresses this, but another route I am considering is using FPAsshorty headers made specifically for the 57-59 Ford cars. These supposedly route the exhaust pipes above the trans crossmember, like the factory did. My concern with the shorty FPAs is that the clutch cross shaft (Z bar, equalizer etc) looks like there may be a conflict. I have a clutch cross shaft and block pivot from a origional 332 powered 58 Ford, which I would like to use. Stan from FPA sent me several photos of these headers on  FE engine, they run so tight to the block, it looks like I may need to trim my scattershield for clearance, but thats not a big deal, I had to do the same on my old R code 70 Mustang Mach1, with Hooker 6114s and Lakewood scattershield. But I do not want to modify a new set of expensive headers, nor do I want to need to make major modifications to the factory clutch linkage.  Anybody here running these headers with a stick and factory clutch linkage.  I do have a set of old Hooker 6114 Mustang headers in the rafters, but I like how the FPA shorty offer better ground clearance and work with the stock trans crossmember. I know that my 59s steering box is different than a 57s, but looks the same as a 58 box.Thanks in advance.«
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

Stan told me that the headers I am using are essentially the same as the "shortys" he makes except my collectors terminate closer to the crossmember making it a little more difficult to run the exhaust. With the FPAs I have, there is no way to use stock clutch linkage. I bought a hydraulic master cylinder kit but have not as yet installed it. The headers were for a 67-68 FE Mustang or Fairlane. I can take a few pics if that will help.
Lynn

hd99fxr3

Has anyone had problems with thier FE engine not cooling properly. I am going to tear down my engine to see if there is A problem internally. But before I do I was just wondering if there is a reason for the 428 cobra jet engine to over heat like this one does. I also just sold A 67 mustang with A 428 cj in it and it ran hot as well. I have tried everything from adding A surge tank, haveing A larger radiator built, putting A recuirculating overflow tank, fans on the fender wells to exaust the hot air. I am at my wits end. I am 70 years old, and pulling an engine for me, will be A major job that I dont know if I can handle. I just dont trust anyone else with my car, I have so many hours of work involved in. I would certainly appreciate any helpfull advice.  daviejim

59meteor

What radiators and fans are you using in both your 57 and Mustang? Over the years I have owned 5 factory 428 CJ cars (1 70 Mach 1, 2 69s, as well as 2 69 Fairlane Cobras), all with the factory issued radiators and fans, except for the 70 Mach 1, had a steel FlexALite fan on that car. Can`t say I ever had any cooling issues with any of those cars. No added electric fans, expansion tanks or other bandaids. I normally use 160 thermostats, and they all usually would run 170-185 degrees F on a proper mechanical temp gauge. Even tuck in heavy gridlock , rarely got much over 190, and would drop down once the car got moving again. Are your cars actually boiling over, or hitting high temp readings on an accurate gauge? As long as the cooling system and all components are in good condition, and properly sized, I can`t say any of the FE engines that I have ran for the past 40+ years have been hot running beasts.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hd99fxr3

I havent either. and I have ran them since I was a kid. but these two have just whipped my ass, I cant cool them for nothing. I have tried every fan , flex, clutch, electic. There is no reason it should run hot, unless something went wrong in the rebuild,

fdlrc

First of all, I'm familiar with this engine. The first thing that came to mind; could there be a head gasket issue where a coolant passage is blocked?
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Ford Blue blood

That was my exact reply on a thread in a different area of the board.  Those head gaskets are direction sensitive! 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Not to hijack the thread, DavieJim, but being a new member you need to know these guys know their stuff.
I love your car! We'd like to see more pics....please do a post in the member's rides or general discusion. What part of the country do you live? Cobra Joe's '57 has that rare aftermarket dual headlight conversion also.
I hear ya on the being 70 years old and not sure if you can do an engine pull. I'm 72 and just finished mine. I thru in the towel twice, but went back to it and got it done. Now I know if it happens again, I'll do it again! Just do it!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hd99fxr3

my thoughts exactly. I am going to pull the heads and see. If you dont mind I would like to put a set of big tube headers on my 57 which one did you say fit and what are my options. If you dont minf would you send me and email I dont get on this site often, I have a sick wife and spend my free time on it not the computer    hd99fxr3@aol.com