News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How many projects are too many?

Started by rmk57, 2016-02-15 14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I have my 57 of coarse and a Boss Mustang I currently dug into a month ago.
Now I have this opportunity to pick up a 66 Bronco. Low mile, father and son
ownership, factory pto winch. The body appears to have minimal rust although
it has a cheap repaint so I don't know what's hiding underneath.

I've had a couple of early Broncos and really like them, there almost practical as a daily
driver. They hold their value pretty well in the market as well.

I better think on it for a couple days, hopefully it'll be sold.  :002:

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

How many projects are too many?
sometimes, just one.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

One thing I remember that my dad tought me... "If you can't make a decision, time will"
Lynn

Ecode70D

It depends on if you have a big enough garage.  When I was actively building up my collection I usually had two, but have had up to three and four car projects going at the same time.  I never gave  up on a project and  finished my last one about two years ago. 

SkylinerRon

I've got a number of projects some are keepers and some are potenial flips
as retirement income. Time and space are the big factors.

Those old Broncos are known rust buckets so look everywhere on it.
You can buy a replacement tub though.....

Goodluck,

Ron.

Limey57

I always had two or three project cars on the go at any one time, but my free time and money were only one cars worth at the most.  Since restoring the Ranchero I've (so far) resisted the temptation of other cars so I can remain focussed on finishing the Ranchero.  There's nothing worse than a load of your buddies going to a car show and you have to go in your modern daily driver because all you've got is three cars all in bits.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

jvo

Never too many.  We all need to dream, that's what keeps a lot of us going.  After this Ranchero build, I have a 27T roadster that  has a rolling chassis, and I have all the parts for it.  Also have a 40 Ford pickup, and all the body parts for it, plus half the drivetrain.  Also have a 47 Merc coupe that I plan on turning into a convertible, and I have a donor convertible top for it, and a couple parts cars as well.  Also collecting parts for a 29 model A roadster, and I have most of the body parts, except for the doors, which I will buy new.  I have some drivetrain parts for this as well.  The model A is for my grandson, should I live that long, cause he is only 2 1/2 right now.  We can all dream right????  We're all gonna live forever, right???? I'm only 61, and I hope I have lots of "good years" left. 
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

Ecode70D

jvo
   You have lots of good years left.  61 is nothing.   Thinking about them and doing them is what keeps us young in my opinion.   Jay

SkylinerRon

That 47 Merc convert is worth a pile of dough!

A friend of mine parted one out in 1964 to fix -up a 48 Ford coupe.
I never let him forget it!

Ron.

suede57ford

I'm struggling with letting go of some cars this year.  It's been really tough, as everything I have, I consider to be special.   Most of the cars I have I have bought because I was searching for them.  I don't buy any car with the thoughts of selling.   Since I can do all my own work, I've been able to buy project cars or barn find as they came up.   What has happened is that over the last 25 years of buying something every other year, I now have a nice collection of 10-14 special Fords.  I feel I do a great job improving on most of them all the time.

A couple things have changed for me recently to force me to make decisions on what to keep.  My kids are now three and four and I want to focus on them when they are young and the '69 Boss 429 barn find I had always dreamed of is now in my shop. I had to pay market value for the Boss, as that chance might never have came up again, so I have a big note hanging over me.   I initially figured I'd just sell a few and pay my balance down, It was easy to convince the bank and wife, but harder to convince me to let them go.  I'm going to take huge losses on some (CJ Torinos), which I accept, but then they will be gone from my collection.  I am really stingy with my '57 Ford stuff, as they are my first love, and I can't have too much VR57 Blower stuff.

Space is another issue.   I have a big shop next to my house, but it's full of cars, and I really have to shuffle to work on others cars. 

I have been fortunate to have collected so much for an average guy with a regular job, but it's getting harder to manage with life changing.

This year I will be applying my first steps to recovery.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

rmk57

I decided to pick it up. Needs minimal rust repair, tune up, gas gauge doesn't work and few other smaller items. May keep it for a 2-3 years and then flip it, maybe.

I have a hour and a half drive on the freeway to my place with it, should be an interesting drive back as it has 4.11 rear gears. in it!

Hope your Boss 9 is mostly complete, as you know the missing parts are ridiculously pricey.

I have the engine out of mine, KK 2516, mostly for a refresh and compartment detail.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

John Palmer

In reading thru this thread, I think we are all in about the same place.  IMO, we are just temporary caretaker's of our projects/collections and need to enjoy them while we can.  I'm pushing 70, and I can tell you that your view's will change as time goes by.  I've sold items in the past that I wish I still had today (a 1949 Thames/Anglia) but you cannot keep everything.  Even Jerry Sienfield (sp?) is thinning out his Porsche collection.  I have collected vintage Schwinn Bicycles, and California Pottery for many years and still get the enjoyment.  In addition to my '57 Ranch Wagon, I drag race with my son, and collect and rebuild vintage camper trailers.  Enough time, and play $$ is always the hurdle when your retired. But one thing that happens is that the very rare items continue to escalate in price and at a point, it makes future collecting just "too expensive" to still be fun.  It has very little to do with what you can afford, or how much space it takes up, at some point you just say, "no way am I going to pay that much"!

My vote would be enjoy the family first, sell off some of the extra cars, invest into your "keepers", and don't look back.  Enjoy the moment, and keep running for as long as you can.

rmk57

This thread should have been placed into the "off topic stuff". 

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

"You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em"! Timing is everything and that is at the heart of these issues.... isn't this "Off Topc Stuff"????
Lynn

hiball3985

Just trying to keep all 3 of mine running is enough of a project for me as they are all daily drivers. I can't see any new ones in the future, between the time, $$$, and getting the old bones moving it's getting hard. I can't say any of mine are 100% finished, there is always something to do. I'm working on a Y block engine rebuild now and have nothing to put it in and probably never will  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang