News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sheet Metal

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2016-02-20 08:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

I used an off brand replacement sheet metal for the rear floor pans in the Ranchero. They came from an outfit called C2C and are pretty much junk. I did not go with EMS because the part supplied by them replaced way more then was bad.  While I was able to use them the savings from using EMS was not worth the aggravation nor the "non-original" look.  They were covered in some kind of coating that made the welder splatter, gave off stringy smoke and left bubbles next to the weld.  Grinding it off did not help much as the metal seamed like it had trash in it compared to the EMS metal which welded up nearly perfect every time.   Gentlemen, EMS is the only way to go IMHO!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

I also have used C2C panels.  At the time, they were the only one offering a certain panel.  They are also local and I wanted to support a local business.  I ordered a right and left panel.  The panels were coated.  Cleaned them in the parts washer and media blasted them.  I had no problem with welding.  BUT, one panel fit great and looked OEM.  The other side was completely unacceptable.  It was not die stamped.  It was poorly hammered out on a bag.  I returned that panel.  To C2C's credit, they immediately refunded the purchase price and shipping.  They also sent me another pair of the panels at no charge.  I was impressed!  Unfortunately, the poorly reproduced panel was replaced with another poorly reproduced panel.  This was a few years ago and they may now have the dies for both sides.  Since, I have used a couple other floor patch panels with satisfactory results.
I think patch panels are just that...patch panels.  Some fit better than others.  Many patch panels are best used to cut up and finish them to fit.
I did notice the welds in your pictures were a little rough...an indication that the gas was not shielding properly and could be due to too much or too many contaminates whether on the metal or in the metal.  If in the metal, it is pretty tough to identify by just looking at the material and is near impossible to yield a satisfying weld.  Very frustrating!!!!!!!!!

Ford Blue blood

This is their (C2C) rear floor pan.  Not a very good product IMHO.  Ignor the welds....that was the old welder misbehaving!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II