News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Windshield washers

Started by Limey57, 2016-02-27 14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

The one sacrifice to originality we have to make to cars over here is that legally we have to have windshield washers fitted.  I just purchased a universal kit designed for kit cars & the like, but it looks out-of place.

Anyone else fitted windshield washers, if so what did you use that didn't look out of place?
Gary

1957 Ranchero

SkylinerRon

The stock nozzles can be used easily. Repro bags, caps and brackets are available.
You could use your pump to activate and hide it. The stock pump was foot activated under
the dash.

Goodluck,

Ron.

Limey57

Thanks Ron I was under the impression that they weren't a factory fitted item.  I've now found one of the old-style bag systems so I'll order one and see how it looks. 
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

if you find it hard to get the nozzles, use circa 1967 Mustang. they come in stainless steel and can be easily bent to our application. remember the nozzles are about 3" long tiny steel tubings with a little flange welded to one end. this is held in the car be 2 of the screws that hold the 'cowl vent sheetmetal' section that is in front of the windshield. the nozzles then go into the fresh air channel ( all unvisible, when hood is closed) and come up just slightly protruding through the air intake mesh. that way you don't have to drill any holes for aftermarket nozzles and it will look factory correct too.

Limey57

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2016-02-28 05:46
if you find it hard to get the nozzles, use circa 1967 Mustang. they come in stainless steel and can be easily bent to our application. remember the nozzles are about 3" long tiny steel tubings with a little flange welded to one end. this is held in the car be 2 of the screws that hold the 'cowl vent sheetmetal' section that is in front of the windshield. the nozzles then go into the fresh air channel ( all unvisible, when hood is closed) and come up just slightly protruding through the air intake mesh. that way you don't have to drill any holes for aftermarket nozzles and it will look factory correct too.

I made some before using copper brake pipe, heated up then squashed with a sewing needle in the end to give the "jet".  Sounds crude but worked quite well, unfortunately I didn't paint them and the copper corroded.  Green washer jets might be fashionable one day.........  :003:
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

Gary, I use a pair of those, and maybe they look a little better then greenish copper tubing, but you never know what the latest trend in washer nozzle coating might be... :003:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmustang+washer+nozzle.TRS0&_nkw=mustang+washer+nozzles&_sacat=0

SkylinerRon

They were fairly popular in 57 so someone here parting out a 57/58 should be
able to supply you w/the parts inexpensively.

Goodluck,

Ron.

2drhrdtp57

Any one have photos of originals?
1957      _____________     Ford
    \___((_____________))___/
     (@)_______V________(@)
      [______I______I_______]
        [__]  0             0  [__]

Y Blocks, The New Flathead

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

2drhrdtp57

Thanks Blue Blood, I just grabbed a pair for a 57 Mercury on eBay for $15 so they look like they will go in place of my standard bezels, has anyone fitted these? Are these the same as stock original 57 Ford accessories?
1957      _____________     Ford
    \___((_____________))___/
     (@)_______V________(@)
      [______I______I_______]
        [__]  0             0  [__]

Y Blocks, The New Flathead