News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear wheel clearance for 15x6 smoothie wheels

Started by ReddingScott, 2016-03-08 19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

ReddingScott

Lyn,

Wow I love this board. Thanks for the suggestion. Got hold of Wheelsmith in Corona Ca. They are making me two each 15 x 6 smoothies with 4 1/4 inch backspace. Price was reasonable and they should ship by the end of the week. Those should give me just the little extra I need. Plus Rich M. has suggested new shocks which should help as well.

This will allow me to use the Cooper Cobra tires which I like and all should be well. My grandson is named Cooper so I had to get those!
Thanks again, Lyn.

Scott

lalessi1

Lynn

RICH MUISE

Rear shocks (55 Ford) Monroe 31125, Just for added info, I used KYB KG4515 on the front. I'm real happy with both choices.Best pricing I found was at Rockauto.com
The added backspace your getting and the Monroe shocks will let you get that tire changed without having to unbolt the shocks. You are jacking the car up by the frame, not the rear end, correct?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Shocks are on my to do list to. I'm looking at Rancho rs 9000's adjustable, so there a little tune able for drag strip use. Need to find the right compressed and extended length with the right ends.

I have shock extensions on now which help with tire removal.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

ReddingScott

Thanks, Rich-ordered those Monroematics for the 56 from RockAuto today!

Scott

ReddingScott

Well, a result note on the conversion of my front disc brake and wheel situation. The wheels were just right-put a 4 1/4 backset in the rear and it was perfect. But now another problem: the Wildwood kit went in smoothly with no hitches but the mechanic tells me there is a hard pedal-no boost going on at all. He is going to measure the vacuum level today to make sure the engine is putting out enough vacuum. I added a vacuum canister last year into the system and the booster itself was rebuilt two years ago.

Question for you is: How much vacuum should I need to run the booster with a disc/drum setup? The posts on the other forums indicate about 18-20. Is that accurate?

Second: If I need to add a vacuum pump into the system, what kind should I use with my 57 Fairlane? Mechanic says he has checked pedal play and that it is set up properly.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

lalessi1

What are you using for a booster? Master cylinder? Engine? Factory engines typically run around 18 psi vacuum at idle, if you have a high performance camshaft, 10 is probably closer to an average. Vacuum reservoirs can help but the amount of assist depends on a lot of things. Drum brakes are self actuating in that with contact the friction will pull the leading shoe into the drum. The result is that less pedal pressure is required for braking compared to disc.
Lynn

ReddingScott

Thanks for the reply!

I have a stock 312 engine. I added an ABS booster and dual master cylinder unit about 2 years ago when the car was drum/drum brakes.
It worked sporadically with that set up. The Wildwood kit has just been added to add front disc brakes but, only a hard pedal indicating that either the booster is bad or there is not enough vacuum or I don't know what else. I took it to my brake mechanic last year when I was having problems and they had the booster rebuilt at that time indicating there was something wrong with it. He is checking vacuum pressure as we speak. thanks!

hiball3985

One of our local guys with a 57 Fairlane had his changed from vacuum to an electric master. I haven't seen him to see how that worked out. I did look at them but they are out of my budget at around $1200..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ReddingScott

Just a wrap up note on this thread that I started regarding wheel and tire clearance on the rear of my Fairlane. The Wheelsmith wheels with a deeper backspace was the ticket. The 215 tires fit just right with no problems at all and I love the look (photo attached)! The brake conversion is wonderful. Even tho my vacuum is only 15 it works well. I have a canister installed which  might help but my brake guy suggested I get a larger booster-I have a 7 inch on in now. The wheels all lock up in a power stop which was my main concern and the hard pedal was just the new pads working themselves in. Thanks for all who helped! Now off to the road!

RICH MUISE

Tire change in the rear ok with the new Monroe's??
Thanks for the update.

ReddingScott

Rich-yes the new Monroes are just right. Makes it much easier to get that tire out of that well. as they are just a bit longer than the stock ones. For the first time in many years I can now drive without having that fear that every time I push the brake pedal that there would be nothing there! I have located a great "hot rod" brake guy that is giving good advice and knows his stuff . Plus I have you guys! Thanks so much for the encouragement and good ideas-it means a lot!

Scott

RICH MUISE

Same here, the help I've gotten here has been remarkable...including the tip on those shocks from Jim Nolan who did all the research and testing.