News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sump/oil pan question

Started by Limey57, 2016-03-20 16:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

My Ranchero was in pieces when I got it, so knowing exactly what goes where has been guess work or following advice on here.  I'm now rebuilding the engine (a late 70's 302) and I have two sumps, one with the deep part at the front of the engine and one with the deep part at the rear.

I THINK it is the one with the deep part at the rear (as the front of the engine is over the crossmember) but can someone please confirm?  I don't want to repaint the wrong one!

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Limey57

Nope, looking at photos in the gallery it looks like the deep part goes to he front.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

All I can tell you is my 4.6 had to have the rear sump pan changed to a front sump pan.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

57AGIN

Limey

Here is a photo of my 57's 351 Wm taken just before reinstalling it in the car in 2011.  It clearly shows a nice new Canton 8.5 quart road/drag race FRONT sump oil pan.  Hope this helps.  My 351 W is a 1974 block, but as far as I know the only thing that determines using a front, rear or front & rear sump pan is the frame and cross member into which is to be installed.  I believe the later year 302's were primarily used in Mustangs and used a rear or front & rear type of oil pan.

Bob
57 AGIN

Limey57

Thanks everyone, front pan it is then.  I know it seems an obvious question but my engine is being rebuilt 50 miles away so I haven't got an engine to use as a reference.

Again, appreciate the advice!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Front and rear pans...do you also have the correct front sump pickup tube to go along with it??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

and lets not forget the dip stick.  The later 302s had the dip stick in the pan, earlier 302s were in the front timimng cover.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Limey57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-21 17:54
Front and rear pans...do you also have the correct front sump pickup tube to go along with it??

I thought I had but on closer examination it isn't even from a Ford!!!!  Fortunately a friend has had many Mustangs and other Fords over the years so he's (hopefully) got the correct oil pick up and dip stick.
Gary

1957 Ranchero