News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson adapter

Started by carl5756, 2016-03-22 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

carl5756

I am currently in the process of doing a Borgeson conversion on my Ranchero.  I have been fortunate that the new box has gone in and not required any modifications to the clutch Z-bar.
I have noticed from other posts that there have been different approaches to how people have adapted from the steering shaft (57) to the Borgeson box: Coupler,  Rag Joint  and Universal Joint.   It seems that the coupler is the more straight forward and that the housing could fit over it.
Can others comment on which method they used and why?

canadian_ranchero

i used the coupler to allow room for the shift linkage,i used a 59 center shaft, the 57 shaft has a hole for the horn wire.look at my borgeson install posts 

lalessi1

Rag joints will isolate the steering wheel from minor shock vibrations. That is what I plan to use when I do the deal.
Lynn

carl5756

I just finished installing a Borgeson system in my Rachero starting out using the method described by Canadian Ranchero (coupling from steering shaft to box and exhaust fitting to couple housing to the steering box)- the install went well until I turned on the motor.  I got an incredible amount of hydraulic noise coming into the cab coming up through the steering shaft (Borgeson says noise is normal).  I removed the housing from connecting to the steering box and it helped some, added No Leak fluid (per Borgeson) helped a bit more.  But I still have a lot of noise in the cab, basically I need to decouple the shaft from the steering box - rag joint would be best, but if I install it right at the steering box I would have to cut a large hole in the firewall then fabricate a cover - a lot of effort. 
I am trying to keep the stock column.

Any suggestions?   
Might a u-joint fitting help? smaller diameter than the rag joint.
By the way the basic functionality of the system has been good.

57tudor

Carl.

In my opinion, that Borgeson power steering box is defective. Pull it out and send it back and make them replace it. I completed my power steering upgrade project last march and my Borgeson power steering box is dead silent and steers great! By the way, I used Lucas Oil power steering fluid in my system. One last thing, make sure your pump pressure is set at 1800 psi. I got my pump last year at ABS in Orange, Ca. and had them set the pressure at 1800 psi. That is the recommendation I got when I talked to the Borgeson tech on line last year before I purchased my pump.

Rick
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

ROKuberski

Gentlemen,

After reading of the noise from the steering box, I contacted Borgeson.  I had several questions for them.  For one, I've seen their boxes for sale on eBay and on Amazon.  Most of them are rebuilt units.  I asked if they were having problems with them since so many rebuilt one's were for sale.  The guy I talked to said that he was not aware of any problems, but the unit does have a 3 year warranty.  I also asked about the noise.  He did confirm that the boxes were noisy.  I asked about using the rag joint and he said that I should be using the 312500 smooth bore coupling since that was the only thing that fit inside of the stock factory outer tube.  Also, the factory steering shaft is smooth and is not appropriate for their rag joint coupling.  I did mention that I could machine out the double "D" end and weld the shaft to one half of the rag joint.  But, I would also have to get creative about the end of the outer shaft housing. 

I was not aware that the pressure could be adjusted on a PS pump.  I plan to buy a pump from Borgeson, perhaps then it's not an issue.

I also confirmed that their older boxes were 16:1 ratio and the current one is 14:1 ratio. 

Any comments on use of the coupler or rag joint would be appreciated.  I'm getting ready to order parts.

Also, I did order the 1959 - 1962 turn signal switch. I want to be able to keep the horn working with the stock horn ring.

Rich

lalessi1

I was unaware of the rag joint interference issue, the noise issue, or any other problems. I will follow closely based on my plans.
Lynn

ROKuberski

To help those of us contemplating the installation of the Borgeson power steering unit. It would be helpful if those of you that have completed a successful installation would provide a few photos and tell us of any specific problems that they had during the install.  Also, what type of coupler you used and why.  Would you change anything that you did.  Are you happy with the way the project came out.

Thanks,

Rich

canadian_ranchero

i used a coupler,it gave me room to use the stock auto shift linkage.check my engine swap post for some pictures 

lalessi1

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2016-04-21 21:01
To help those of us contemplating the installation of the Borgeson power steering unit. It would be helpful if those of you that have completed a successful installation would provide a few photos and tell us of any specific problems that they had during the install.  Also, what type of coupler you used and why.  Would you change anything that you did.  Are you happy with the way the project came out.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, Unisteer makes a bushing/bearing for the column end. Look at this page, go to the bottom and click on the instructions. They show the part being installed. There is also a part number, not sure if they would sell it separately, but worth a look.

http://www.unisteer.com/fairlane/57-59-ford-rack-pinion-kit-for-traditional-motors.html
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I'm curious about the "would have to cut a big hole in the firewall for a rag joint" statement in the original post. The oem hole is big enough to pull the steering box up thru.....?
I'm also curious about the Borgenson noise problem. Is this on their original design box, or the new one?
And, I'm also curious why Borgenson redesigned it after a relatively short time span with the old.
Also Unisteer's R &  P kits are designed for an "oem 332 or 352 FE block" huh????
For the guys that already have done the Borgenson swap....does the car return to center as a "normal car" would? And how does the car handle at freeway speeds of 70 or so?
Gary/Canadian Ranchero...hurry up and get you project running  so you can give us a report on your Borgenson unit...lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

I looked at the instructions for the Unisteer kit and it is well put together.  I liked everything about the kit except the price.  In other posts on installing power steering there is information about using the Chevy Caviler rack.  I seem to remember that there were issues with this method too.  Unisteer notes that their rack has 6" of travel.  Does anyone know what the Caviler rack has for travel? 

The use of the added floor plate to anchor the end of the steering column is a good idea as is the total replacement of the shaft from the steering wheel to the first u-joint. 

I also saw where the standard motor is a 332 or 352, but a quick phone call would confirm if a Y block is okay too.  I would guess that it is. 

Canadian Ranchero, I looked at your pictures and you have a very clean installation.  I looked at pictures last and saw one where someone used an exhaust part as an adapter.  Was that you?  I've included a snip from a picture I found on one of your previous posts.

I guess I have more thinking/research to do before I spend the money.

Rich

lalessi1

Borgeson lists kits for various engine combos in '57s including "traditional engines". I used the FE one for show and tell 'cause that is what I have. I have a floorshift so I was thinking I would have plenty of room for a rag joint so I am curious about the clearance comment. I think Borgeson buys these boxes and modifies them to fit, I am thinking that is why the design changed... the manufacturer upgraded to a quicker box. Just a guess....

I measured the distance necessary to move from lock to lock to be closer to 7".
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2016-04-22 09:09
I looked at the instructions for the Unisteer kit and it is well put together.  I liked everything about the kit except the price.  In other posts on installing power steering there is information about using the Chevy Caviler rack.  I seem to remember that there were issues with this method too.  Unisteer notes that their rack has 6" of travel.  Does anyone know what the Caviler rack has for travel? 

The use of the added floor plate to anchor the end of the steering column is a good idea as is the total replacement of the shaft from the steering wheel to the first u-joint. 

I also saw where the standard motor is a 332 or 352, but a quick phone call would confirm if a Y block is okay too.  I would guess that it is. 

Canadian Ranchero, I looked at your pictures and you have a very clean installation.  I looked at pictures last and saw one where someone used an exhaust part as an adapter.  Was that you?  I've included a snip from a picture I found on one of your previous posts.

I guess I have more thinking/research to do before I spend the money.

Rich

yes i used the exhaust part to fit the outer tube to the box.you must use a coupler on the inner shaft to make every thing fit[i used a cut off 59 inner shaft,can not use the one with the hole in the center] 

gasman826

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-04-22 08:49

Also Unisteer's R &  P kits are designed for an "oem 332 or 352 FE block" huh????

The FE kit would work just fine on a Y-block except for the power steering pump bracket is different as well as the PS crank pulley.