News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson adapter

Started by carl5756, 2016-03-22 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Just for reference, the last time I had mine adjusted, my alignment guy could only get about 2 degrees. It was set at about minus 1/2* before that. It helped  but from what everybody says is not enough for optimun handling. Mine having a rake also interfered with getting more.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

I just pulled the report I got when I had an alignment after rebuilding the frontend.  I have 0.6 degrees caster.  Borgeson recommends 3 degrees.  I'll see what they can do.

I am getting a replacement power steering pump delivered this morning.  Hopefully this is not a leaker.  I've got most everything back together, but still have a little work to do after mounting the pump.  It's been cold and wet here so I may not go for a ride until we dry out.  High yesterday was only 44 here, snow level was down to 8500'.  Got to love it, spring time in the Rockies.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Had the heater on all day yesterday...lol springtime in Texas!! Raining today. Suppose to clear in Colorado for the weekend..was thinking of heading up there for a show at the Abbey in Canyon City. Was at this show maybe 8 or 9 years ago. Great park-like setting for a show. It's on my bucket list of shows to do when my car is finished..

ROKuberski

Rich,

Yes indeed, good weather in Colorado for the weekend, assuming the forecast is accurate. 

I got the replacement power steering pump this morning and got it installed and working in about 10 minutes.  All appears fine at this point.  Ease of steering is just right.  3-1/2 turns lock to lock.  I took a short trip around the neighborhood and there is a dramatic difference. 

Still messing with the power brakes.  I do have improvement in performance, but it's still not 100%.  I'm not out of ideas yet, but if it is not working right by the end of the day, I may be.

Rich

RICH MUISE

I'll be anxiously waiting to hear how your car handles at 65 or 70 with the changes.
Off topic, but I'll send out some pm's if I go to Co. for sure...at this point 90% sure. I haven't seen Jon or Al for a year or so. Al was out of town last time I went up there. Which reminds me, I should have done a post letting you guys that know Al (57dohc) know that sadly his wife passed away after a long tough fight with Cancer. I think it was in the fall. He's been doing alot of fishing trips to help keep his mind off it.
Since the last time we got together up there, I've met another 57 Ford owner from the Springs. Les is a now retired fireman with a great 300 2dr.

ROKuberski

Rich,

I got the car back together enough for a test drive as I mentioned below.  I am still having issues with the power brake equipment I bought and I have removed it again.  I may look for a different type of system.  If all goes well, I will drive the car on a car club event this coming weekend. I am going to try to get it in for an alignment on Friday - only change from stock will be trying to get the caster to 3 degrees. 

The steering seems plenty fast with the 16:1 ratio.  I don't know what the turns would be with the 14:1 ratio, but if my math is right, it would be about 3 turns lock to lock. 

Rich

lalessi1

Rich, after all is said and done, are you happy with your Borgeson conversion?
Lynn

gasman826

'69 & '70 Boss and Mach 1 Mustangs were 16:1 (PS or manual) in the CAN AM era.  By OEM standards, the ratio was considered 'quick'.  My '69 Mach 1 was quite responsive considering OEM power steering.  After removing the power steering, parking was brutal!!!  Anything for performance.