News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake light switch

Started by Frankenstein57, 2016-04-24 14:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Hey guys, I I noticed the other day that my brake lights aren't working ,I have posted a picture of my current switch location, maybe that's incorrect?I have front disc and rear drum and a proportioning valve for that application , do I need a more sensitive switch? or maybe something different?thanks for your input, mark

canadian_ranchero

you are hooked into the disc brake side of your proportioning valve.this side has a metering valve in it .this delays presser to your front brakes.so no brake lights till you get to about 50 psi.i would put the switch in one of the lines between the master and the proportioning valve or into the rear brake line,so you have instant presser to your brake light switch.or mount a electric one on the pedal.

Frankenstein57

Thanks, I figured it was something like that.    Mark

KYBlueOval

Have you considered going to a mechanical switch? I've found a switch that can be wired so that it can be mounted in front of the brake pedal arm or behind it. It has 3 terminals, so it can be wired as normally open, or normally closed. If interested, let me know. I have several.

Frankenstein57

How does it mount on a 57? ,Is it one that rides on the pivot/shaft?

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2016-04-27 20:16
How does it mount on a 57? ,Is it one that rides on the pivot/shaft?
You would need to make a bracket to hold/mount it. The thing I like about this switch, is that you can mount it either in front of the the pedal arm or behind it . All of the other brake light switches I've seen are normally open switches which says they must be mounted behind the pedal arm.

lalessi1

I have a very simple mechanical switch on mine, it was on the car when I got it and it is a Mopar switch (normally closed) on a simple angle bracket mounted on the pedal support. I don't  know what the swtch came off of though... 
Lynn

gasman826

I used a common Ford brake light switch used late '60s through the '70s and into the '80s.

RICH MUISE

Hey Mark....I used a GM style straight threaded plunger type mechanical switch on the brake pedal asesembly. Hard to get a good pic, but it's mounted on the main pedal /dash bracket right next to where the pedal's rubber bumper stop hits. Works well, but quite frankly it's hard to get to and adjust. BTW, I am ALSO using a hydraulic switch that I ordered with the Wilwood proportioning valve since I was anticipating a posible problem with the GM switch. My engine/tranny computer needed a feed from the brakes also, so I just kept the two and wired them up to different destinations.
For the mechanical route, I guess it's whatever flips your switch, lol
So, how many guys do you know with two brake switches and two gas pedals on their car??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Just make sure nothing hangs up on the dual gas pedals ,no more bad luck please. I think the switch on the pedals is the way to go. Now I need to get after it, spring all Ford show at Griffin Ford on Sunday, Thanks, Mark