How to keep the stock horn ring working with cut off steering column

Started by ROKuberski, 2016-04-25 22:26

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Since I've been considering the installation of power steering on my mostly stock Fairlane 500, I've also been thinking about how to keep the original horn ring functional.   I've read about how to do this in other posts, but, today, I visited "Sam's Vintage Ford Parts" in Denver.

I had a great conversation with the owner about what I need to do.  He also had the parts that I need to accomplish this.

You will have to drill a hole in the steering wheel to insert a plastic sleeve (first picture shows one in a stock 1958 steering wheel.)  In this sleeve is the carbon contact that will ride on the 1958 - ~1962 turn signal/horn ring assembly.  You will also have to cut a notch in a plate on the back of the steering wheel so that contact can be made (second picture shows notch to be cut - third picture shows stock 1957 steering wheel.)

The last picture shows the parts I bought.  A used partial 1959 turn signal/horn ring contact assembly, the plastic sleeve for the steering wheel and the carbon tipped insert that makes contact with the steel ring.

I neglected to ask if he has more of what I bought.  You can contact him at 303-295-1709.  If you do call him tell him you got the contact information from Rich.

Rich

ROKuberski

This post is in error. I had a problem with uploading pictures, file size was too big.  The second post has all 4 pictures.  This post needs to be deleted.

Rich