How to keep stock horn ring functional when you cut off the steering column

Started by ROKuberski, 2016-04-25 22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Since I've been considering the installation of power steering on my mostly stock Fairlane 500, I've also been thinking about how to keep the original horn ring functional.   I've read about how to do this in other posts, but, today, I visited "Sam's Vintage Ford Parts" in Denver.

I had a great conversation with the owner about what I need to do.  He also had the parts that I need to accomplish this.

You will have to drill a hole in the steering wheel to insert a plastic sleeve (first picture shows one in a stock 1958 steering wheel.)  In this sleeve is the carbon contact that will ride on the 1958 - ~1962 turn signal/horn ring assembly.  You will also have to cut a notch in a plate on the back of the steering wheel so that contact can be made (second picture shows notch to be cut - third picture shows stock 1957 steering wheel.)

The last picture shows the parts I bought.  A used partial 1959 turn signal/horn ring contact assembly, the plastic sleeve for the steering wheel and the carbon tipped insert that makes contact with the steel ring.

I neglected to ask if he has more of what I bought.  You can contact him at 303-295-1709.  If you do call him tell him you got the contact information from Rich.

Rich

Custom_Shelby

Hi Rich, Just went through everything you did concerning converting my 57 steering Wheel horn assembly to function like a 58.  Everything worked out quite well, except that nothing on the bottom of my steering wheel is making contact with the turn signal cancelers on this 58 assembly.  Got any suggestions?
Steve...

ROKuberski

Steve,

I too had issues with the canceling function.  I have not resolved it yet.  But, I have considered modifying the work I've already done to port over some more '57 parts if possible.  I am the self canceler right now.  Since I have a good resource here in Denver on parts, I will likely take my stuff over to him and see what can be done to make everything work. 

I've been out of town with family issues lately and I have two big trips coming up so I don't think I will be doing much until fall.  After getting my power steering and power brakes working, the car is much nicer to be driving around.  I will get new rear springs next week and that will get the ass end back into shape.

Rich

Custom_Shelby

Understand, If I come up with something I'll pass it along.  I did send Sam these three pic's ( showing the Off, left and right positions with the horn disc out of the way) asking him about it as well as the guy I got the harness assembly from, Ron Johnson, he's also in Colorado.  You can see by the photos the cam on the steering wheel wouldn't be able to make any contact with those tabs.
Steve...