News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Long overdue refresh

Started by Marc, 2016-04-26 19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

You obviously have a ton of work in your car, and very picky to boot....very well done. Thanks for sharing it with us. Keep them coming.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

Thanks for the kind words.
You're correct, it's Cumberland Green & Colonial White. I had the interior trim & dash painted in Cumberland green as well since I just liked that better than the original green that was in there.
I've got all the trim, just need to buy a new set of gold side pieces. The old ones were just too faded and looked like hell against the new paint.

petew

Glad to see you have given some love to your more door !
Some 4 door cars aren't good looking but as far as I'm concerned the 57 is a beautiful car in a 4 door configuration .
Your colors and the Crager wheels make it a stunning car, nice work.

rovohn

Quote from: Marc on 2017-04-19 12:39
Had a little free time so I took a shot at installing the quarter trim. The plan was to use original-type clips from Mac's, but I'm not thrilled with the quality, plus they were just fighting me the whole time. I know they're supposed to be simple but I guess I just don't have the "touch". So I decided to use the universal-type clips.
Anyway, I ran down to the hardware store, picked up a handful of big washers (to cover the square holes and spread the load), and some 10-24 nylon locknuts.
I put a bead of strip caulk around the studs, and also covered one side of the washers with caulk. Once the studs were aligned with the holes, I hung the trim on, and snugged down the nuts. Very happy with how it came out, and for me anyway it was much easier than using the original type clips.
Can you remember the part# for the trim clips? And how many?
I will order mine now before someone says squirrel!
Thanks,John
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

Marc

For the rear quarter trim I used B7A-7029120-A clips from Dennis Carpenter. I didn't use the nuts that came with them though. I ended up using locking nuts and stainless washers from the local hardware store.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Marc on 2017-04-19 12:39
Had a little free time so I took a shot at installing the quarter trim. The plan was to use original-type clips from Mac's, but I'm not thrilled with the quality, plus they were just fighting me the whole time. I know they're supposed to be simple but I guess I just don't have the "touch". So I decided to use the universal-type clips.
Anyway, I ran down to the hardware store, picked up a handful of big washers (to cover the square holes and spread the load), and some 10-24 nylon locknuts.
I put a bead of strip caulk around the studs, and also covered one side of the washers with caulk. Once the studs were aligned with the holes, I hung the trim on, and snugged down the nuts. Very happy with how it came out, and for me anyway it was much easier than using the original type clips.

Marc........could you please measure the body of the clip that is pictured. Length, width. And the stud size and length, as well.
I've got the Au-ve-co Catalog and with the measurements I should be able to identify it  with an Au-ve-co Part number for all of us.
Thanks
John

Jeff Norwell

Wonderful work Marc.. Your car looks amazing!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Marc

John, I wish I could measure one but they're all installed. I haven't yet ordered retainers for the rest of the side trim but when I do I'll be sure to include the numbers here.
The Ford number I used for the rear quarter "spear" retainers is B7A-7029120-A. Not sure if the Au-ve-co catalog has a cross-reference feature. Searching Dennis Carpenter's catalog will turn them up.

This is the stock retainer used at the front & rear of the spear. I just used them along the whole length (8 per side) because they were much easier to use than the stock clip-on types that were there.

rovohn

Any more updates?
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

Marc

Nothing new. I haven't touched the car in weeks other than a few things under the hood. This time of year it seems I spend more time picking up leaves than anything else!

JPotter57

Your car looks great Marc, then again, I thought it looked great the first time I saw it at our first 57 Ford gathering at Columbus.  Just a well taken care of car.
I would be interested in seeing the clips too.  I am looking partiucularly for the ones that secure the tips of the Custom trim at the front of the quarter window.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Marc

Thanks James. I got in touch with the son of the original owner a while ago, and he told me how fanatical his dad was when it came to taking care of the car. He was a little extreme, as in he would leave the doors cracked open when the car was parked overnight so the door seals wouldn't be crushed. He owned it about 20 years. It had 2 more owners over the next 9 years before I bought it, and of course the whole time I've had it the car's been garaged so you're right, it's been a pretty well taken care of car. I consider myself extremely lucky to have picked up such a well maintained vehicle.

I haven't bought the new clips for the rest of the trim yet other than the rear spear but when I do I'll post pics of them. I think I know the particular clip you're talking about. I took some pics of the old clips as the trim was removed. Give me a chance to sort them out tonight and I'll post them with a description of which clips go where.

Marc

Here are a few pics of the original clips, as well as the clips I used to install the rear spear.
James, the first pic is the one I think you're talking about.
My plan is to use the same clips everywhere I can, as they come in different sizes and are really easy to work with. Those clips are available at Mac's, dennis carpenter, and probably a bunch of other outlets I haven't checked. I discarded the nuts that were included and picked up nylon insert locknuts and wide washers at the local Ace.
The front fender trim used some kind of springy clip. Not sure if I will reuse the same type of opt for the universal clips there too. 

Marc

more pics...

Marc

and the new clip