News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FINALLY!!! Time for my '57's!

Started by mustang6984, 2016-04-28 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Well...after 40 years of working and parenting...it is now MY turn! While I did go off on a tangent for a time with Mustangs (hence the moniker) and still have three to finish...I am also finally beginning to return to my '57 Ford Sedan Deliveries.
I have 2 of them, one bought when I was 17, the other when I was 19. The one bought 2nd is now on the floor of my shop and is in the "deconstruct" stage....although it won't be a total tear-down. Merely looking to clean it up and strip the old paint, then body work it, rip out the factory wiring and replace it with a wiring harness from EZ-Wire, repaint it and drop the 390/428 (we aren't sure what the motor is yet...came from a T-Bird in the era when both motors were a possibility) topped off with a 406 Tri-Power pushing power through a Top-Loader. Once I hang a reconstructed front clip on it along with disc brakes, I'll see if it is road worthy, and then take the final leg of the Street Rodder Road Tour this coming October.
Both of my '57's long ago passed out of the restoration stage, were in hot rod phase before I bought them...the first one actually having been a race car back in the late 60's/early 70's. (1/4 mile car) So I don't feel bad about making them hot rods again.
We have done some sanding on it, and today pulled off the front clip to see what was salvageable...and what is not. About a 50/50 issue there. I will be needing front clip parts. Also...if anyone has or knows where I can get them...I need 4 Courier tags for the front fenders...2 for each car.
Thanks for looking and reading...I'll be around from time to time...in need! LOL!!! LOTS of need I suspect!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

When you get to the engine there are a few of us running that combo and we might can help identify yours'. I have a 428/toploader in mine. Goodluck with your project!
Lynn

BP57CUSTOM

Looks like you have lots of fun ahead of you, I have a 57 and a Mustang. if I spend too much time with the 57 my Mustang gets jealous and will puke something in the floor to get my attention. Sometime I think its a human. Good luck on your projects.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

billd5string

Looks like a very cool project! I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I love the plan of an FE and a 4-speed, very cool.

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2016-04-28 07:32
Looks like you have lots of fun ahead of you, I have a 57 and a Mustang. if I spend too much time with the 57 my Mustang gets jealous and will puke something in the floor to get my attention. Sometime I think its a human. Good luck on your projects.

I have the same problem with my Cougar! But in typical kitty fashion, it's more of a hairball that it coughs up.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

JPotter57

Looks like a fun project.  My Custom was also a former racecar, having run in the 60s with a 390 and 4 speed.  The front had been welded together into a flip front.  Welcome aboard and looking forward to your build.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

John Palmer

Good to see another one make it's way back on the road.  Look at the positive side.  The front clip parts can be replaced much easier than if they had cut out the quarter panels during it's racing days.

gasman826

Wishin' great success with a couple of uncommon body styles.  Good luck finding fender badges...very rare.  Just a though, since you are not doing a restore, have the badges replicated in vinyl and bury them in the clear coat.

junior58

Welcome aboard. Look forward to following progress - lotsa photos please
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

mustang6984

Was thinking of lifting that bad boy up in the air and taking a look at it this next week. Don't have an engine stand for it right now, both are currently holding Mustang engines for their respective cars. Have a buddy who said that he might be able to tell by the numbers if I can find some. I'll need to give the block a good cleaning first.
Left out that I plan to top it off with a 406 Tri-Power...been hauling 2 of these bad boys around behind me for over 40 years. Should be a nice looking and running engine with that set-up.

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-04-28 06:56
When you get to the engine there are a few of us running that combo and we might can help identify yours'. I have a 428/toploader in mine. Goodluck with your project!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

My Mustangs run the gamut of running to in various stages of re-build or customizing. The '68 is awaiting it's new front suspension with upgrade to disc brakes. (we have the parts, just a matter of getting the kid in there to do the work). The '69 still needs one piece welded in for the trunk, and the driver's side quarter removed and new one placed and welded. Finishing those two chores would then enable both to be primered and readied for final body work and paint.
The SVO is a car purchased as a basket case, and it needs one more handful of fasteners to be scrounged, then it is ready for primer and paint.
The '88 is in fair shape, needs a rear exhaust and a clutch this summer...but has been well behaved. It is a Saleen with just barely 95k on it.
The two '57's have been long ignored, so the other 4 are just going to have to be patient...it is time for the Sedan Deliveries to get some attention.

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2016-04-28 07:32
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I had this top-loader in it before with a 352. Solid tranny!

Quote from: billd5string on 2016-04-28 08:26
Looks like a very cool project! I look forward to seeing what you do with it. I love the plan of an FE and a 4-speed, very cool.

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I want to eventually make mine a flip up. I had a friend who did that with the rams form a '64 Mustang convertible on a 50 Ford panel truck. Flip a switch,. and it slid forward and then popped up. For now though...just want to get it running...it is past time! Sure you know what I mean! LOL!!!

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2016-04-28 10:38
Looks like a fun project.  My Custom was also a former racecar, having run in the 60s with a 390 and 4 speed.  The front had been welded together into a flip front.  Welcome aboard and looking forward to your build.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Oh you are so right. Had a friend when I lived in San Diego who had a Delivery that had been cut out in the back for larger tires. He used to lament the work ahead of him to fix that. Mine was thankfully NOT cut...but the guy put NINE (9) leafs under each side...and I can tell you...that bad puppy hooked UP! WHEW!
I am going to need all the little panels that go into the front clip, along with the rubber pieces. Ideas or leads...will be gratefully accepted and cherished!

Quote from: John Palmer on 2016-04-28 11:06
Good to see another one make it's way back on the road.  Look at the positive side.  The front clip parts can be replaced much easier than if they had cut out the quarter panels during it's racing days.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I think I have gotten lucky...in that a friend of mine has a buddy with a C&C machine, and he said the guy can cut me new ones. Only drawback is they won't have the mounting studs, I'll have to glue them on like today's badges are. But I'll go with that. I have ONE original so that is enough for him to use as a template.
So...if anyone needs some made...any kind...hey...let me know! We can give the guy some work!

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-04-28 13:55
Wishin' great success with a couple of uncommon body styles.  Good luck finding fender badges...very rare.  Just a though, since you are not doing a restore, have the badges replicated in vinyl and bury them in the clear coat.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I think I'll have new ones made...I like that look of the way they were. The Ford script looked pretty cool!

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-04-28 13:55
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker