News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FINALLY!!! Time for my '57's!

Started by mustang6984, 2016-04-28 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

I'll put up more pics as soon as I downsize them. I shoot cars a lot, and my camera is set for RAW...so my pics come pretty big and need to be cut down.
But I promise to take pics!

Quote from: junior58 on 2016-04-28 14:48
Welcome aboard. Look forward to following progress - lotsa photos please
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...compressor part showed up yesterday...so I installed today, and started sanding. An awful lot of paint on this ride, (meaning several coats thick) but got the driver's door completely down to metal, and started on the panel.
No rust in the door, found some small dings that had been bondoed once before...but not much. Overall, door looks good.
Side panel seems to be in excellent shape as well...from what I got done before having to head back to the house. We are going to try media tomorrow...see if the small blaster my buddy has will do the job.
Anyone know how to get the trim off without damaging it? Both sides are in great condition other than needing to be cleaned and polished. No kinks or dings. Want to take it off but keep it that way.
And here is a pic of today's work.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

The Courier trim is more than likely the same as other models in the way it attaches. It'll be a combination of push in fasteners and threaded stud ones that'll require getting to the backside of the panel to remove the nuts. Take Pictures, bag and tag everything!! Can't say that enough.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Okay...I'll check from the inside then.
And yea...the bag & tag thing...has saved my butt with the Mustangs over the years! LOL!!!

Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...after a summer spent doing other things...than working on my '57 for most of the time, I have dug into it.
all the paint is gone, (except for a few places where it will take hand sanding) and I have torn out most of the inside of the car. Dashboard is still in there, along with wiring harness. since this is not going to be a restoration, but rather a mild custom/hot rod, the wiring will be leaving, ( I HATE in-line fuses!) and will be replaced with an E-Z Wire wiring harness.
In pics below you can see the passenger side floor...or what's left of it.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

And then there is the "patch" job...ugh...and yet one more look at the passenger side rust. I had thought the driver's side was going to be the worst, but now...not so sure. I think the easiest solution is to replace both toe-boards, both floors and the transmission hump. (Yea...dig that repair job from 1968!) LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

New pics! As of today the body and frame are no longer married! Took a week or so of on and off work, but got them apart. The easy job it turned out was getting rid of the bolts. A bit more of a challenge raising the body up high enough to roll the frame out. but got 'er done.
So...pics below show the process...and end result.
Pic # two is supposed to say 1/3 of the way...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

A few more pics...Last two are of my buddy Bob checking out the newly freed (and very dirty) frame!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

canadian_ranchero

one of the 390/428 differences is the 390 is internally balanced and the 428 is externally balanced.if you look at the flywheels,the 390 has no balance weight and the 428 does have a balance weight 

mustang6984

Good to know that...except that the motor I have...has no flywheel. It came out of an automatic car, and I didn't get the ring gear either. Any numbers that will tell me? Or am I going to have to just wait until I tear it down to know?

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-11-11 10:47
one of the 390/428 differences is the 390 is internally balanced and the 428 is externally balanced.if you look at the flywheels,the 390 has no balance weight and the 428 does have a balance weight
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

If you are positive you have a 428 then it is externally balanced from the factory, they all were. One way to be sure you have a 428 block it will have an upside down "A" or a backwards "C" crudely raised on the rear of the block made by scratching the sand before casting. A is a standard 428, C is a Cobra Jet. There are rotating assemblies that are internally balanced that can be used, all stroker kits are internally balanced. In the absence of the A or C markings you can measure the stroke through a spark plug hole with a wooden dowel, a 428 should measure roughly 4".   
Lynn

mustang6984

I discovered today that I lied earlier. I haven't messed with the motor for several months, so I forgot that the ring gear for an automatic is still on it. Is there any way to tell by looking at that?
I'm not positive I have a 428. The T-Bird I got it out of could have had either one...it was from the era when either could be ordered. I am positive it is one or the other.
I want to put it in my Delivery with a 406 tri-power. If the engine is a 390, I'll use my 406 heads. If it is a 428...I'll use those heads. Still a couple of months away from engine re-build though, so not critical yet to know. I will however do the measure of the cylinder. It's on an engine stand, so that won't be hard to do. And I'll look for that casting A or C as well!  Thanks!

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-11-11 12:57
If you are positive you have a 428 then it is externally balanced from the factory, they all were. One way to be sure you have a 428 block it will have an upside down "A" or a backwards "C" crudely raised on the rear of the block made by scratching the sand before casting. A is a standard 428, C is a Cobra Jet. There are rotating assemblies that are internally balanced that can be used, all stroker kits are internally balanced. In the absence of the A or C markings you can measure the stroke through a spark plug hole with a wooden dowel, a 428 should measure roughly 4".
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

The factory 410 & 428 flexplates, in addition to the welded on counterweight, had a series of triangular "pie slice" cutouts between the crankshaft bolts, and the converter stud holes. 390s and other FEs had solid flexplates without the cutouts. That said, I have seen some recent aftermarket replacement 428 flexplates that were solid, but had a weight welded  on for the external balance. Also, some 1966 428s, had a unique 2 piece flexplate, with a heavy cast iron outer ring attatched to the cutout stamped steel center piece.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

The harmonic balancer is unique to the 410 & 428 as well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

...and then you have to watch out for used parts that silly people, like me, zero balance all external parts.