News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FINALLY!!! Time for my '57's!

Started by mustang6984, 2016-04-28 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Well...now that the insanity of Christmas & New Years is over...I called and spoke to the friend who had told me about the ability to re-machine the parts.
He said to send him my Courier emblem and he will take it to the guy with the equipment and get us a quote.
Also stated that the downside is there will be no pins to insert into the fenders...so we will have to stick them on with automotive double sided tape. Not biggy for me, but for someone doing a restoration it might be an issue.
Also said that they would be made out of aluminum, not the pot metal they were originally...but he says that when polished, they look as good as chrome without the expense.

As I said, my emblem is in two pieces, but he said that wasn't an issue. However, I think sending a solid piece would be better. I'll send you my number in a PM...

As for anyone else who might see this and want emblems made...let me know...and we can take a collection of them to him and have a source for repro parts.

----------------------------------------------------------
I do not still have the factory bucket seat. I didn't even know they came with bucket seats...I always thought they had bench seats. I have a pair of bucket seats out of a T-Bird, unknown what year. They were in the car when I bought it back in '72...and are still in good shape. But if I had an option to get a pair of original seats in good shape, I'd be interested.
What else is available off that parts Courier? I have a small list...
Mine will be running a 390 with a 406 Tri-power with 406 heads.

Quote from: suede57ford on 2016-12-22 10:21
If you think your friend is serious about machining out some emblems, You said you had one, but if that doesn't work, I might be able to loan you a sample to use a pattern if needed.  If' he can make accurate copies I'd buy  a few sets.   I Really like look of a courier with the emblems on the fenders. 

Do you still have the factory bucket style seats?   I managed to find a nice set for mine, and then found a parts courier that had a set too.

I'm using a supercharged 312 with all factory VR57 parts in mine, so it has that Junior Gasser look.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I hate being a responsible adult. I thought I was going to be able to sail through this car and start enjoying it. Then I bought a small house in Bisbee AZ to rehab and sell, figuring I'd unload it quickly and have all the cash I needed to finish my Courier. HAHAHAHAHA! Two and a half years later...(after I had finished the re-hab on the house) I was finally able to sell it!
Meanwhile we began prep for my wife's retirement, which will see us moving from Port Angeles in WA state to the area around Branson MO. So...I went there and bought an apartment building this past March, and spent the following 6 months rehabbing it. Now...it looks like I will be able to finally start back on Henrietta! I have acquired 3 Explorers (for everyone's favorite price) with anywhere from little annoyances to be fixed (radiator/thermostat/front fender/alternator on one to transmission on another or an engine on a 3rd.) and when sold will give me operating cash for Courier work. The first Explorer went up for sale yesterday.
I already had purchased steel 2 years+ back for some frame mods I wanted to do to stiffen up the ride a bit, and eliminate some body roll. I came up with a design, shipped it off to Steve Saleen and he liked what I had, so now...it is installed.
A friend of mine, Carlton Posey, did the welding...if you ever saw MY welding...well...you would know why HE did the job! LOL!!!
We finished yesterday...so here are some pics. I will be gone for 5-6 weeks back to Branson, then home to begin the next phase on Henrietta's rebirth!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Transmission crossmember mock-up, modification and placement...The crossmember bolts in and cmes out nice and smooth.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Frankenstein57

mustang6984

Thank you sir. I agonized over it for some time, but then when I sent it off to Steve he said it was good. So, given his background with frames and suspension...I moved forward.

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2019-01-31 22:12
Nice fab work
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Here is the last set of pics. This set shows Carlton welding in the supports from the original frame to the added section, and then the completed work from above.
When I get back from Branson, I will clean the entire frame, then POR-15 it, paint it and then lay the body back on to begin to replace the floor and rockers under the doors.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

That looks great. Just curious were the exhaust will route? I'm guessing above the two center pieces?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

It does look great and I was wondering the same, except I thought with the frame mods, maybe he's not building a street car, so may be wheel well exit headers??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

AH! I did think about that before I went forward. The exhaust will go through the new frame. Before I pull the motor block mock-up out I am going to take it to the exhaust shop and let him drill his holes and figure out his route. The frame (original and modification) is 4" so that leaves plenty of room to drill holes for a 1-7/8 or even 2 inch exhaust.
I don't think there would be enough room to go over the center and still clear the body. I got the idea of going through the frame from looking at some of the street rods built by shops. To avoid hanging exhaust but still have road exhaust that exits out back they go through the frames.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Thank you, I never thought about going through the frame, DUH!
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Thinking on Friday tires one out for the thinking needed for how to enjoy Saturday! LOL!!! I try to avoid thinking about much of anything...unless it is my 57!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

fdlrc

Thank you for posting. I really enjoy following everybody's projects or technical ideas; what a wealth of information and talent on this site.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2019-02-01 15:31
Thinking on Friday tires one out for the thinking needed for how to enjoy Saturday! LOL!!! I try to avoid thinking about much of anything...unless it is my 57!
LOL.............you'll have to remind us retired ol farts when Fridays are here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

HEY! I am one of those old farts! Turn 66 this coming March. Isn't the definition of an old fart one who knows how to have fun...WITHOUT getting caught? LOL!!!
On another note...I may be in Amarillo sometime in the next few days...depending on how I take my trip to Branson. Or might on the way back from there. I'll let you know.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-01 21:33
LOL.............you'll have to remind us retired ol farts when Fridays are here.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-01 21:33
LOL, I'll be 72 in March, maybe I should start shutting down on Wednesday  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang