News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission fluid leak - Fordomatic

Started by ROKuberski, 2016-05-02 22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Today, I removed the transmission from my Fairlane.  I am on a mission to stop fluid leaks.  I replaced the pinion shaft seal and put a sleeve over the shaft where a pretty significant groove has worn into it. 

On the transmission, I replaced the input shaft seal, but now, I am not sure that was the source of the leak.  I've had red fluid coming out of the bottom of the bell housing ever since I bought the car.  So, now it has a new seal.  However, I anticipated that a leak from that seal would have left fluid on the exterior of the converter.  Not so, it was dry. 

When I bought the new seal, I also got a large "O" ring.  It was so cheap that I bought it even though I was not sure where it went.  Well, it looks like it could go on the plate that is held in by 4 bolts, see picture.  I pulled the bolts, but could not get that plate to budge.  I gave it a few whacks with a plastic hammer, but no dice.  The inside of the bell housing was wet with fluid.  I want to get this back together soon, but I also want to find and fix the leak.

Any suggestions?

Rich

lowrider

That part is the front pump for the transmission. You'll need to take the convertor housing off to remove the pump. The housing is removed by taking the 4 bolts out that are on the other side of the housing.

ROKuberski

As noted below, I did try to remove that front cover.  It fits pretty tight to the bell housing.  I'm trying to get a guy that is retired from owning a transmission shop to visit me this morning.

Rich

gasman826

remove the bell housing then remove the front pump.  There is about a 5" diameter o-ring around the pump.  If the o-ring is hard (which is usually why it leaks), the rest of the transmission is likely in the same condition and needs rebuilt.  Do it now or do it later.  The other common bell housing leak would be the torque converter o-ring.  The converter splits in half and there is a large (14" diameter +/-) o-ring that seals the two halfs.  Fatsman sells vintage transmission parts (new stuff not old, dried out NOS stuff).  Fatsman also offers a helpful manual.  I'm an old transmission guy and a couple of years ago was my first FordOMatic.  Make sure and check/replace the front pump to converter bushing. 

rmk57

Mine always leaked at the shift linkage. I think there are two o-rings.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

ROKuberski

I got it all apart.  Bell housing off and then the front pump off.  The rubber seal is soft to the touch, but I am after a replacement.

This unit has been rebuilt, but still leaks.  The car sat for about 15 years after a rebuild on engine and transmission.  The guy that had the work done died.

I've replaces other seals in this quest.

Rich

junior58

I had mine out when I first got it, thought front seal like you, but turned out to be the o-ring between the torque convertor (as mentioned by gasman).
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

ROKuberski

After chasing around town a little, I went to a shop that I was not aware of that specializes in the rebuilding of vintage transmissions.  They sold me the rubber seal for the pump.  Got home and it was too small in diameter.  Tried to stretch it out, but no luck.  Prior to that I went to a transmission shop that I had done business with in the past and we rummaged through rebuild kit leftovers and found a much better fit.  I sure hope it works because the only to tell is to run the thing. 

It is back in the car this evening.  I still have an hour or two to finish up and the oil pan is off also.  I repainted it and it just needs to dry before I put it back in tomorrow. 

This was a one man job except for the mating of the transmission back to the engine.  I had help for that.  All done without a transmission jack.  I have a 4-post car lift in the garage.  I got everything ready, then lowered the car down so that the transmission sat on a steel leg table that I have.  Just slid the transmission back a couple of inches onto the table then raised the car out of the way.  Not quite as easy as I make it sound, but not a terrible job either.

Rich