News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'59 Front End Alignment Question

Started by lalessi1, 2016-05-19 06:43

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I recently rebuilt my front suspension and I switched to '59 upper control arms, pivot shafts and bushings. I liked the bushing design better. I was pleasantly suprised to discover that as you rotate the shaft 360 degrees it moves the control arm forwards or backwards relative to the frame which changes the caster. My question... does anybody have 1959 alignment procedure information? It won't be much longer before my initial front end alignment...
Lynn

RICH MUISE

So, I probably missed this in your previous posts...but the '59 upper control arm/shaft/bushings is a bolt on replacement? What about the ball joint?, and does it change any other geometry, like the spindle height? The big question is, and you probably won't know until it gets to an alignment shop...how much caster can you get??
I did a post on the 52-59 forum asking about the procedure/specs. There is an active, knowledgeable member on there that I think just had his '59 aligned.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-05-19 06:43
I recently rebuilt my front suspension and I switched to '59 upper control arms, pivot shafts and bushings. I liked the bushing design better. I was pleasantly suprised to discover that as you rotate the shaft 360 degrees it moves the control arm forwards or backwards relative to the frame which changes the caster. My question... does anybody have 1959 alignment procedure information? It won't be much longer before my initial front end alignment...

I used '58 Ford /Edsel Upper Control Arms for the same reason. So I'm interested to find out the alignment procedures and results

lalessi1

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-05-19 12:29
So, I probably missed this in your previous posts...but the '59 upper control arm/shaft/bushings is a bolt on replacement? What about the ball joint?, and does it change any other geometry, like the spindle height? The big question is, and you probably won't know until it gets to an alignment shop...how much caster can you get??
I did a post on the 52-59 forum asking about the procedure/specs. There is an active, knowledgeable member on there that I think just had his '59 aligned.

Rich, everything remains basically the same. You adjust the caster and camber with shims. I am hoping to find out if there is an initial posistion for the shaft specified as well as the change in caster per shaft revolution. That would help in the alignment process. I have the shafts rotated to give me as much caster as possible to start with zero shims installed. I am interested in finding out how much extra caster this arrangement will allow (if any). I would buy a '59 manual if I knew it would provide the answers I am looking for.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

hollander says 58-60 edsel,ford pass 57-64,mercury 57-58 and mercury 61-64 upper control arms interchange

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-05-20 07:18
Rich, everything remains basically the same. You adjust the caster and camber with shims. I am hoping to find out if there is an initial posistion for the shaft specified as well as the change in caster per shaft revolution. That would help in the alignment process. I have the shafts rotated to give me as much caster as possible to start with zero shims installed. I am interested in finding out how much extra caster this arrangement will allow (if any). I would buy a '59 manual if I knew it would provide the answers I am looking for.
Lynn, I'm totally confused, something isn't working correctly in my brain. I'm not understanding how rotating the shaft would change the caster, I thought the shafts were symmetrical? I don't have the 59's so I can't figure this out. If they aren't symmetrical then I'm wondering if the 57's are or aren't?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

canadian_ranchero

as you rotate the shaft it will move the mounting holes[where it bolts to the frame] forward or rearward.that moves the control arm,changing the caster 

hiball3985

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-05-21 12:47
as you rotate the shaft it will move the mounting holes[where it bolts to the frame] forward or rearward.that moves the control arm,changing the caster
OK, I think I understand this. Rotating the shaft is screwing it in on one end bushing and out on the other which moves the A arm. Is that the way it is designed to work?, I'm sure I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like it. Not that it can't be done..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

The pivot shafts are threaded on each end and the bushings are threaded inside and outside. The outer thread on the bushing threads into the control arm until it bottoms out. The movement of the bushing is metal to metal on the inside threads. the shaft can move quite a bit backwards and forwards because it unthreads on one end as it threads into the other. Now these are not machine threads...the outer thread actually gouge into the control arms, the inner threads are very coarse and rounded. There is a lot of engagement with the bushing either "screwed in or out".
Lynn

hiball3985

Thats the same design type as my 66 mustang and other 60's Fords. I can see how you could screw it in or out but where would you start? So the 59 type shafts won't work on a 57 A arm since they aren't threaded...
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

The question about where to start is why I am looking for a manual. I believe the bushings will create the threads in the control arm, so I think you could use '57 arms but you definitely need the 58/59 pivot shafts. I can do it without a manual but it would make it easier knowing what a single turn does to the caster. I can probably calculate it too, but I would sure like to see a '59 manual... I am trying to get as much caster as possible within the constraints of the design. The number of turns is limited because the shaft bottoms out. I can move the arm around 1/4" from center.... :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

I'd like more caster with mine also but it is what it is, I'm getting to old to keep making changes. A 1/4" should help you. I don't know if I can't get more caster is because of the Granada spindles or some other issue. I've already spent to much time fooling with it. I'm not sure how much caster you can even adjust in with stock spindles?. I've come to the conclusion the Granada spindle swap isn't the best way to go... I think who ever started this idea was only looking for a cheap way to add disc brakes and didn't know $hit about alignment and handling..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I agree with everything you said! I went back to stock spindles/Wliwood 4 caliper brakes and just eyeballing what i have now I have a ton of caster and camber. I have Aerostar springs/no spacers.. I ordered 3/4 spacers today. I will let all know when I get the car on the alignment machine. Cornering balance has always been a fun factor for me in anything I have driven.
Lynn

hiball3985

For me it's all about the cornering too, mine is doing really well even though I only run 215 70 14 tires. I would just feel better about some more caster running at higher speeds on the straights. I still haven't had mine above 90 mph and it's not bad. One advantage of getting older is I don't push it as hard like the good old days  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Here's a link to the question I posted on the Hamb 52-59 social forum...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/working-on-the-59.940138/page-8#post-11536522
My original question was post #227. Sorry for the delay, I was in Colorado for a few days.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe