News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear shocks for ranchero

Started by Jimburnaugh, 2016-05-21 19:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimburnaugh

Got my 58 steering box and tilt column installed, much better than stock.  Trying to find correct shocks for the rear, I saw a post about using Monroe 31125, but they are bayonet mount top and bottom.  The ranchero takes the 2 bolt mount at the top.  Anyone done any racing with their ranchero?  I would like 90/10 in the front and not too stiff a shock in the rear.  Guys on the forum have been very helpful on being able to find the right parts to get my car together.  Thanks.

hiball3985

Racing, I assume you mean drag racing? I don't do that I go around corners and use Gabriels on the rear and KYB on the front. Not many people make shocks for the rear of Ranchero/wagons and I don't like Monroes..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-05-22 09:07
Racing, I assume you mean drag racing? I don't do that I go around corners and use Gabriels on the rear and KYB on the front. Not many people make shocks for the rear of Ranchero/wagons and I don't like Monroes..

Jim........do you have the Gabriel Part # for the rear shocks you used? Are they an adaptation from some other application, or right out of the Gabriel Application Book? I've read extensively about rear shocks / larger wheels and tires, and problems changing tires, requiring the unfastening of the lower shock mounts to let the rear down enough to allow the tire to be removed. Does any of that apply to your set up........and what size tire / wheels to have on the rear of your Ranchero? Backspacing?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

Sorry John, I don't have a part number but they were the standard replacements for the Ranchero/Wagons. I had no problem with changing the tire but I'm using a not so large 215/ 70/ 14 and they are on Cragar SS wheels. I just bought new tires and changed them a couple of weeks ago, I almost couldn't believe BF Goodrich ran a new batch of Radial TA at the end of 2015. I never measured the backspacing myself but I think Lynn told me what they were in another thread when we were having another wheel discussion but now I don't recall what it was  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jimburnaugh

Mac's list some stock rear shocks, Monroe but I'm trying to get a better quality and adjustable shock, I guess the only way is to go to a parts counter and show him what shock needs to look like and try to do it that way.  I am going to go with the summit 3 way adjustable on the front.  I'm going to with the biggest wheel and tire combo I can fit in the fenderwells.  My car is basically a street rod that I also want to drag race. 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Jimburnaugh on 2016-05-23 18:49
Mac's list some stock rear shocks, Monroe but I'm trying to get a better quality and adjustable shock, I guess the only way is to go to a parts counter and show him what shock needs to look like and try to do it that way.  I am going to go with the summit 3 way adjustable on the front.  I'm going to with the biggest wheel and tire combo I can fit in the fenderwells.  My car is basically a street rod that I also want to drag race.
Thanks to both Jim's for the replies. I also want the biggest combo I fit on the rear. I'll be interested in what combination you use.
As to taking a shock to a parts store. That is getting harder and harder to do, as the independent, KNOWLEDGEABLE, parts guys are fast disappearing where I live. We all have encountered the new era parts people at Auto Zombies etc.. My experience has been that they are willing to help, but their system is just not set up and user friendly for those of us that are building / driving modified cars.
I'm very interested in what you find and use for rear shocks on your Ranchero, as I've not made that purchase as of yet.
Thanks
John

SkylinerRon

71 Camaro rear shocks are the same as Rancheros,wgns, Couriers and Skyliners.

Ron.