News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Repair panels

Started by barsby340, 2016-05-27 23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

barsby340

Hi guys. First post ever. I just picked up my wife's 57 300. It's her dad's car and has been for 40 plus years. There are a few rust areas but the sentimental value in the car out ways the necessary work. My question is. The front drip rails in the door jamb below the windshield are rusted a little bit. Are there repair panels for this section?  I've been looking but haven't seen any yet.
it's my wife's car...... I just work here

Ford Blue blood

Welcome aboard! 

Many of the panels and parts we need have to be harvested off wrecking yard survivors.  Check the vendors list, there are several folks that have many 57s that are the source for a lot of our needs.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum.
It would help a bunch if you could post some pics as far as getting advise/suggestions if needed. We also don't know anything about your background with restoration...could make a huge difference as the area I think you're talking about is more of a major structural component than a repair panel.  The bad news is that could get it into some pretty intense rebuilding. The good news for you is most of us here have started with rust buckets so there's lots of experience with different issues.
Generally speaking, we consider everything forward of the firewall to be the same on all 57 Fords regardless of model or platform, but I honestly can't remember a discusion about the actual firewall / A pillar being the same in the area your describing. Only difference that comment would make is what vehicles could be considered for a donor car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

barsby340

Thanks guys. It's on the trailer heading back to Idaho with me now. When I get home tomorrow I'll post some pictures.  I can do basic fab and patch panel repair,  this area is however beyond me. I'll have to search out an expert. 

RICH MUISE

Love Idaho...We once looked into moving to Cor D'lene or Sandpoint
Looking forward to pics, and don't let my previous comments scare you off....doesn't sound like that car is a rust bucket by any means, but even they can be salvaged one step at a time. Structural or just sheetmetal...it's all just that, metal! My "structural comments" were just to bring up the point that there may be bracing, lots of measuring, etc. rather than just digging into it.

barsby340

No worries Rich it didn't scare me.I knew what you meant. Like wise I'm comfortable replacing a floor pan. But that structure is a little beyond my ability. ... here are some pictures.  I need both sides repaired although the right side is in much better condition.  I've had time to thoroughly check out the car. It's not terrible. Both front floor pans and toe boards as well as the forward floor supporrs. These two a pillar sections and the reAR tail valance. Otherwise it looks solid. The trunk is perfect.  "The bright side" lol

RICH MUISE

OK...great to hear. We've had some newbies on here that have been scared away when they find out fixing a rustbucket isn't going to happen in two weeks.
Usually things are worse than they look, but in your case it may not be as bad at that spot as it looks. I'd poke around with a screwdriver or awl and see how rusted it actually is. There are 3 or 4 layers of metal there I believe, so it may be stronger than it appears.
That area from the factory was packed with seam filler, btw. On many cars it appears water got up under the sealer after it got old and started separating from the structure causing the problem you have there.

barsby340

:003: Awesome thanks, it feels pretty strong, my main desire is that it is fixed properly and doesn't become a bigger issue later. My wife has been in love with this car for most of her life and I will fix it for her. Truthfully its growing on me pretty fast. I think its really cool. and I'm excited to get it back on the road. Thanks again for the response

RICH MUISE

So.....what do you have there? 2 dr, 4 dr? Driver? What's the drivetrain in it now, and the future if any changes planned? I think it's really cool having a family car passed down. Just doesn't get any better than that. Mine belonged to my wife's dad as well, although apparently just for a short time before he died. He had bought it to flip...was just dragging his feet actually selling it I was told. My mother in law lives here now (they lived in s. Oklahoma back then), and when I finally got it on the road after 10 years, I grabbed John's coffee cup that was in it when I bought the car from her and took them both for a ride. That was pretty cool!!

barsby340

That is awesome.... the car is a 2 door, inline 6 with an auto. her dad said it originally had no heat or radio, he later (in the 70's) installed both. It was a driver up until around the year 2000. I plan on completely re-doing it. I hesitate to say restore because that means crazy things to some people and I have no plans on going that crazy. I do plan on a frame off rebuild of the car with some modern upgrade, brakes fuel injection ect. My wife and I want to drive it. I don't want to be worried about actual mileage either. Road tripper is in the works.
I have a feeling that this forum is going to be a valuable resource for me.

RICH MUISE

Looks like the car was white and willow green...that's a pretty combo on these cars. If you want some inspiration, check the build threads.....Custom Shelby is putting together an awesome Custom with that color combo. His isn't the 300 like yours, but you'll get the picture!
Looks like the trim is all there..that's a good thing. And BTW, most of the trim on these '57's is stainless. I think you'll find only the bumpers, grille, all the handles, and all the nameplates and hood/deck ornaments are chrome and everything else is SS...even the vent window frames. Makes for a very time consuming project restoring all that stainless, but unless you've got deep pockets, it's gonna save a ton on rechroming expenses.

barsby340

Ya noticed the stainless and it's all there.. only 1 dimple all the rest is very clean. The car is 100% complete down to the original trunk mat that has basically fallen apart.
I think I came across that build thread already. Looks pretty.  And my wife insists on the original color. I think it will look nice.
I have my metal guy coming by this weekend so we can formulate a plan. I'm excited to get started . I'll try and document the progress as much as possible in a build thread

RICH MUISE

That's great, 100% complete. So now I gotta ask if it has one component that was so fragile/short life spaned, that most '57 owners/restorers weren't even aware it existed.
It's inside the car under the steering column area. The e brake cable has a pulley affair at the firewall. Originally there was a cover that went over that pulley. It apparently was molded from a paper-mache like material that disintergrated after a few years. If you got it, I'd sure like to see a close up pic!!

barsby340

Hmmmmm. maybe 99.7 percent complete! I doubt it survived but I will take a look and photograph it if its there :002:

barsby340

Confirmation.  It's not 100% complete. Sorry Rich