News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front springs

Started by Jimburnaugh, 2016-06-07 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimburnaugh

Anyone have any ideas on new front springs other than stock from Mac's?  Car sits lower on left about an inch, hopefully new springs will cure that.  I have a 351 Windsor motor.  I got Kyb shocks from Oreillys, ok for now, want to go to 90/10 in the front when it gets all sorted out. Oh it's a ranchero.  Thanks. 

RICH MUISE

Lots of recent discusions on front new springs and the inevitable issues it comes with it seems. I'll repeat my opinion of the issues....every car is different and will get different results. The main factors include drivetrain weight, current spindles, etc. Also what your desired ride height is..lowered, stock, etc. Keep in mind if you replace old original springs with new ones the new ride height will be higher. Check the spring rate of the ones offered by Mac's compared to the 3 offered by Eaton.
Detroit Eaton has 3 springs available off the shelf which may or may not give you what you're looking for. Some members are convinced Eaton's are too strong (for lack of a better word) for the modern lighter drivetrains.
Some distributors have one spring supposedly covering a number of different years but in fact Ford used I think 8 different spring rates in 1957 full size passenfer cars alone.
If you do not have dropped spindles and you want a lowered stance, many have been happy with the Aerostar springs...and they are available anywhere and cheap. Even with a lighter drivetrain that what you have, Aerostars with dropped spindles are way too low...ask me how I know.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

I installed aerostar springs on mine a few years ago. No issues, and the ride height is a little lower than stock, which suits my taste perfectly. 

Jimburnaugh

Aerostar springs sound like the way to go. Any certain year and engine combo, I assume new or from a wrecking yard. I do have stock spindles so lower would be fine. Thanks for the info.

lalessi1

Jim, I bought Moog CC850 Aerostar springs from Rock Auto. The were inexpensive, $44.79/pr. I found with stock spindles they lowered the car way too much. I added 3/4" spacers and I am pleased with where the car sits. It is stiii pretty low though.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=201328&jsn=459
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Jim...for the record, I have to take issue with, or at least add to, Marc's statement that the Aerostars will make the car sit a "little lower than stock". Of course, "little" and "a lot", are subjective, but my opinion they in fact will drop the car "a lot" from stock. The problem here is what we are considering is "stock". It's posible they may only drop the car an inch or two lower than a stock, but 50 year old worn out spring.
When I finally got my car on the road last winter,and fought getting my ride height where I wanted it, I had occasion to replace 6 cyl rated new Eaton springs with Aerostars, and the difference was dramatic...about 4" if I remember correctly.
Now, lol, I have to take issue with my statement!......My drivetrain is probably lighter than just about anybody elses, unless your also running an aluminum block, aluminum heads, alum tranny, alum radiator, etc. I'm not even going to try and figure out how having much less weight on the front springs actually affects the compressed height differences from one spring rate to another, but that factor is there. Thus my statement in my first reply that all cars are different.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

Good point Rich. My old springs were old and as a result the front end probably didn't sit as high as when new.

robhaerr

My wagon has Aerostar springs with stock spindles, 302 with aluminum heads, 215/60/15 front tires, 215/65/15 rear tires, stock ride height in rear, front and rear sway bars. See photo for stance...it rides nice....the sway bars make a huge difference!

Here's a video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-5odSvX7E

Hope you find a great solution!

Cheers...
Rob

Marc

Holy cow that's a beautiful wagon.

robhaerr

Quote from: Marc on 2016-06-11 06:05
Holy cow that's a beautiful wagon.

Thanks, Marc....she's a driver.

Rob

Jimburnaugh

Laless/1 did you get the Moog constant rate or cargo coil, looks like that part number is for either. What 3/4 inch spacers?  I've seen the kind that are shaped like a spring and the coils sit on them, or the actual rubber inserts between springs.   Robhaerr beautiful wagon. 

SkylinerRon

I'd call Eaton for a recommendation, tell them what you have and want to do.

90/10 shocks are drag race only. They are worthless on the street. Try Koni's, you will like them and
don't forget a big front swaybar.

Goodluck,

Ron.