News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front Drum to Disc Brakes

Started by glenmichael, 2016-06-30 08:15

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello again, We have the car on the road again (sort of) I would like to improve the stopping power! I have read through the pages and would like to hear todays thinking on which way to go? Last year the front and rear drum brakes were done no problems. The front spindles are in good shape and I like the way the 57 sits. My ultimate goal is front disc brakes with 15" Cragar S/S wheels. Then on to the rear. Thanks for any and all help!

canadian_ranchero

i did the granada spindle swap because i want to use 14 inch wheels.there are a few kits that use the 57 spindle but all the ones i looked at needed 15 inch wheels.i used 68 ltd rear brakes to get the common 11x2 1/4 shoes and self adjusters

lalessi1

I REALLY like the Wilwood kit. The 4 piston calipers are fixed and they weigh almost nothing! A bit pricey, but worth it. I had '70s Torino spindles and disc brakes (single piston) on mine but they were incredibly heavy. I also perceived that I had geometry issues so I went back to stock spindles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILWOOD-DISC-BRAKE-KIT-FRONT-58-68-FORD-MERCURY-EDSEL-11-ROTORS-BLACK-CALIPERS-/291280155037?fits=Year%3A1957%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item43d1a6719d:g:VnQAAOSwF1dUT8NS&vxp=mtr
Lynn

57tudor

Summit Racing has the kit p/n 140-13653 for $574.99, free shipping. That's where I got my kit last year. My car stops great. Make sure you get the hose kit p/n 220-8307 $59.95 if you chose to go with Wilwood.

Rick,
57 Tudor
:unitedstates:

glenmichael

Hello again, I like the looks of what Wilwood has to offer. Stopping is important to me and my passengers! You get what you pay for is what I hear! gasman826 you out there? I'm sorry I missed you in Michigan, I will be back in mid august. I hope to help with the front brakes. After looking at the car what do you think about the disc project? I would like to make the best decision so I can get Woody the parts 1st of august. I want to thank all who share their thinking and experience!

gasman826

I already talked with Woody.  Search this site for several good solutions.  This subject has been beat several times.

glenmichael

Hello again, lots of information here about brake conversions, at this moment I am looking at the Scarebird set-up. They recommend using a master cylinder from a 68 galaxie with disc in front and drums in the rear. Has someone used the m/c. Thanks, so much to learn!

lalessi1

I am using one. It works well.
Lynn

glenmichael

Hello again, Lots of information in the previous post! Sounds like the Wilwood and Scarebird set-up both use the 68-69 mustang rotor with a shim behind the inner bearing. Does this change the wheel location from stock? Will this effect my wheel choice in using a 15" Cragar S/S? Thanks for listening and sharing!!

rmk57

I used 69 Torino spindles, rotors, calipers, everything. Had to ream the bottom of the spindle to accept the larger 57 ball joint. The car sits about 3/4 " lower and that's about it. I'm running 15" stock steel wheels in front. Car seems to steer and handle the same as it always did. The master cylinder I'm using is a non power disc brake unit from a Granada with a Wilwood adjustable brake bias valve. Nice part about it is its all Ford stuff and available anywhere.

Torino, Mustang, Cougar, and probably more use the same spindle up to 69 then changed slightly in 1970. I'd try and steer away from the 72 and up Torino, Montego, etc as the calipers and hardware got quite a bit bulkier.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

lalessi1

Quote from: glenmichael on 2016-07-08 08:18
Hello again, Lots of information in the previous post! Sounds like the Wilwood and Scarebird set-up both use the 68-69 mustang rotor with a shim behind the inner bearing. Does this change the wheel location from stock? Will this effect my wheel choice in using a 15" Cragar S/S? Thanks for listening and sharing!!

I don't remember shims for the bearings and I am not sure about the centerline to centerline of the wheels compared to stock (looks the same as far as I can tell). The Cragar wheels will work fine.
Lynn

glenmichael

Hello again, After all the reading I talked to Woody and we decided to go with Scarebird! I ordered the brackets last night, When they arrive, I'll pick up the other parts. My plan was to use the 68 galaxie m/c. Knowing that the rear brakes will be next, they are small stock drums, if the option we chose is disc, should I be thinking about a different master cylinder-boster now?

glenmichael

Hello again, I know will he ever stop? I started looking at the ford svo rear disc brake kit( staying with the ford 9"). Could this also help my rear wheel and tire options? On-Off-Size???

gasman826

There's always the issue of buying expandable parts.  For proper front to rear (disc/drum) pressure,  the system needs a disc/drum master and bias/proportioning valve.  Disc/Disc will need a disc/disc master cylinder and less dependent on a proportioning valve.  A adjustable bias valve will work on either system and not be a waste.

The last I knew, the SVO/Explorer does not bolt to the small bearing 9" rear end without modifications.  The original '57 Custom rear end is small bearing (if it is still original).  The '96-01 Lincoln, Grand Marquis, Ford rear disc brake swap is a better fit.  I have both if you want to borrow a set to test fit.

The rear disc brake swap will unfortunately reduce tire clearance.  The rotor is thicker than a brake drum.  This 1/8"-3/16" will reduce tire clearance between the outer sidewall and the fender well lip.  The swap may also require a 1/4" bearing spacer which also moves the tire another 1/4" closer to the fender lip.

glenmichael

Plan A is to bring Scarebird brackets and misc. parts up to Adrain mid august and help woody with the install.. I can install the galaxie m/c for now, we can adjust and play!! I would like to meet and talk about the rear brakes then if that would be possible. Your knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated.