News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front Drum to Disc Brakes

Started by glenmichael, 2016-06-30 08:15

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello again, The Scarebird brackets arrived and they look fantastic!! Today I picked up the remaining pcs. in town, same parts store since 1961, man I like going there! I'll post progress and pic's if there is interest..

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: glenmichael on 2016-07-18 10:08
I'll post progress and pic's if there is interest..

Please do.....:<)
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Yes, please do.
A folow up to what Gary said about the disc brakes reducing tire clearance.... I think the disc brakes even though move the wheels closer to the fender, are actually easier for tire removal since the rotor is much less mass to  clear the inner wheel surface as opposed to the drums.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

glenmichael

Hello, My goody bag is packed,, Scarebird brackets- 68,69 mustang rotors- wheel seals- inner+outer bearings- spindle nut kit- dust cap- 68 galaxie master cylinder- 83,92 S-10 calipers with soft pads-hoses-banjo bolts-grease-brake fluid-cleaner-rags-$515.86 and counting!! Heading north aug.1 , back in florida sept 1 , will post results and pics then, it should be a stopping good time!!

glenmichael

Hello again, after reading my last post I'd like to Apologize for those calipers (ouch)!! I plan on using my  'Well. That's Hot Rodin'  card!! Hope I'm forgiven...

glenmichael

Hello again, Our 57 front drum to disc brakes conversion was a complete success!! BIG stopping difference..

glenmichael

The master cylinder was the easy swap, change the rod length for pedal position and bleed the brake lines, good to stop..The best part the Cragars fit with full turn, no rubs!! 15x7 rims with 15x60x225 tires..

59meteor

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you. I am considering the Scarebird disc brake setup for my 59 2 door sedan. What master cylinder did you use, & do you know the bore size? Did the disc brake setup make the front track any wider, or still the same? And what is the brake pedal effort like? I am assuming that you have manual brakes, and I plan to keep my car manual as well. Any idea on how much heavier the disc brakes are than the drum setup? Did you run an adjustable proportioning valve, a factory proportioning valve, or just direct from the master to the calipers? Are you still using the factory 57 rear drum brakes? Thanks.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

glenmichael

The master cylinder we used was ordered for a 1968 ford galaxie with front disc and rear drum. It directly bolted up to the 57 firewall and we adjusted the stock rod to set the pedal location. Scarebird supplied a 1/4" spacer that rest between the spindle and rotor inner bearing. We never compared the location of the rotor face to the brake drum! The tire we used is 225/60/R15 on 15x7 fits, works, looks great! The car stops with far less pedal pressure than before, no proportioning valve, now direct front and rear. Weight? Now stock rear brakes next project along with the 9".. That being said where do we discuss the options for the 9" rebuild, I'd like to leave two black strips!! I had experienced help and enjoyed the disc swap, on to the rear end. Time to learn our options..

glenmichael

Hello again, My 57 is back in storage for the winter.  Which gives me time to plan to rebuild the 9 inch rear end.  The stock 57 rear brakes are in great condition, and with the 15 x 8 cragars and 15x60xR255 tires, trimmed wheel wells we cannot afford to move the tires out.  My hope is with the new front disc brakes and some adjusting the rear brakes will be fine.  I would like to rebuild the 9 inch rear and add a posi type center.  Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on that?  Thanks for your input. 

RICH MUISE

I went the full route on mine....New 3.50 gears, 31 spline axles, Yukon trac loc, narrowed 3/4 per side, changed to old style big bearings (to suit the  disc brakes kit I wanted to use), and added a taller yoke to compensate for a driveshaft that was 1" too short. The big thing for me was finding an experienced shop mainly because of the case being narrowed. My total cost was right at 2 grand. That doesn't include new shocks, 6 leaf springs, isolators, u-bolts and bushings.

What part of the country are you in?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

glenmichael

I retired to Florida. I left the 57 with Mike ( brother in law ) best thing my sister did! in Michigan.. In the past year in part thanks to this site we have installed the 460, C-6, front disc and when we finish the rear I plan a trip to Florida!! There we will tackle the interior, and so on.. I need to pull the 9" out to finish the rear wheel wells next spring, I hope to have a plan and parts by then.. We were thinking a 3.50 gear not sure about 70mph on 75 south??

lalessi1

I have a 3.89 rear gear and my car seems to "scream" at 70 mph. around 3500 rpm. I have a 462 FE and a 4 speed. My plan is to go to a 3.25 (at least) that will drop the revs to about 2925 . With a 460 and a C6 on 255/60 15 tires you will run 3045 rpm at 70 mph. With a 3.10 gear you are looking at 2700 rpm or so.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Years ago I saved a 76 Ranchero from the crusher.  Pulled the dead 400M and tranny, put in a 460/C-6, ran the stock 2.73 gears and got near 20 @ 70 MPH with an out of the box Holley 600 CFM.  Big ol thing still pulled hard and was a ball to drive.  Torque is the thing.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

That is my thought exactly. My 462 dyno'd at a max 550 ft lbs of torque with an incredibly flat torque curve from 2500 to 5500 rpm. If you punch it at 3500 rpm in 3rd gear it will smoke the tires. Too much gear.....
Lynn