News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front Drum to Disc Brakes

Started by glenmichael, 2016-06-30 08:15

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

...or not enough tire!!!!!!

lalessi1

Lol! Yeah, but tires are my safety valve!!!
Lynn

glenmichael

I've said it before, All I want for Christmas is a 4.10 gear!! Looking at your numbers if I drive it south the 3.10 makes more sense..I have a stock 28 spline rear, now I to start looking.

glenmichael

just wondering could I rebuild the stock one wheeler for the road trip and have another center section for regular fun?

gasman826

One of the best features of a 9"...a spare setting in the garage with a go fast gear!!!!

If I was going to go cross country, I'd go 3.00 or even 2.75 with the slippage of the torque converter in your automatic.  For cross country, I've run a 3.00 with a 5 speed Tremec.  I have a 3.00 gear in the Raunch Wagon with FordOMatic running about 3000RPM at 70MPH.  Nice around town but a little high RPM for highway.  I have centers in buckets ready to pop in setup with 4.11, 3.89, 3.50, 3.00 gears, Detroit Lockers, Daytona pinion supports and shimmed pinion gears all 31 spline.  I think there is a loose 2.75 gear and a 3.50 Traction Lok with 28 spline.  I have several used open centers with more road worthy gears.  If it is just a get it to 'Florida and save the engine' gear, you're welcome to try one of those.  I'm still of the opinion that the 28 spline axles will stand up to street abuse with street tires.  Tires under a stock '57 will not likely break 28 spline axles.   If you are narrowing the housing and buying new axles, I would consider making the change to 31 spline axles.  12" sticky tires and high stall convertor might stress 28 spline a bit.

glenmichael

That sounds wonderful, a highway gear ( easy on the motor and better fuel mileage ) and a go fast gear!!! I'll talk to Mike, hear his thoughts.. I love the idea and think Woody and I need to plan another visit.. Please save the 28 spline stuff and again Thanks for your help and friendship to Woody and I through out this build!!  Thanks Gary..

glenmichael

After conferring with my better half,, and talking with Woody,, together we have decided to finish the drive-line with a fun gear and ship the 57 to Florida!! Woody thinks the 28 spline-3.50 Traction Lock would be perfect for us.. Is that something you would sell us? If yes I'll send Woody some cash..

glenmichael

Hello again, Just an update, I received a call from Woody, a 57 wagon sporting new front disc brakes pulls down the driveway, come to find out it is gasman826 bearing a package.. The 3.50 posi center section!! Back to plan A, finish the rear end, dial in the brakes, find a carrier and send the 57 south. Thanks again for all the input you guys have a lot of knowledge out there!  I sent woody some money for your next visit, Thanks Gary...