News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lower radiator hose

Started by Custom_Shelby, 2016-07-01 16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom_Shelby

Anyone have the application for the lower radiator hose for a 302 small block on the water pump side (ID 1 13/4"), 57 Ford radiator (ID 2")?
I'm having trouble with the fit on one side or the other.

RICH MUISE

Fairly common engine swap so somebody should have a number, but if they don't, here's what I did for my 4.6 swap:
I bent up a 1/4 copper tube representing the centerline of what I needed and brought it to my local parts store. I marked the ends so I'd know which diameters were which.
They let me go in the back and physically look at the hundreds if not thousands of hoses hanging on the wall. I ended up finding a hose that was twice the length I needed but had a section that was pretty close to what I needed. I just trimmed of the excess. I did have to sleeve one end, but it's been working fine with no leaks.
A hint if your keeping a build book on the car...put the hose's sticker with the part number in the book.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Custom_Shelby

Push comes to shove, that's what I may have to do if no one has a direct application.  Top hose worked perfect for a small block in a Mustang, but the bottom hose for a Mustang was to small on the ID to fit the radiator outlet by at least half an inch.  Big Block lower hose for a 58 fit the radiator side perfect but was a half inch to large on the water pump side.....someone's gotta have the number for a direct application.   

Custom_Shelby

And the size should read:  Water pump side, 1 3/4", radiator side, 2"

57chero

I have a 351W in my ranchero with the stock radiator which should be the same as a 302, the bottom hose I used is a Gates #20276 it might have been a little long if I remember correctly but the end sizes were correct.

Custom_Shelby

Thanks, that sounds right, 302's and 351W's have the same water pump, I'll call NAPA and AutoZone this morning

Custom_Shelby

NAPA didn't have the Gates number (20276), but they did have the cross reference number for their own brand, NAPA #7135.  All I had to do was trim about 5/8" off the water pump end and it fit perfect, still don't know what the original application was though, thanks!