News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

hard starting

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2016-07-22 18:28

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all,  fist,  i'm getting old and forgot tons of stuff,  so my question is,  i go for a ride,  1st ,  its start right up,   i go for a ride about maybe 10 miles,   stop for gas,  and then its hard starting,  sounds like its not going to make it, and then finally just before i get out the battery jumper,  its will start,   also it has been hot around here,  in the 90's,  the car dosen't overheat,  its a 312 40 over with 3/4  cam,   uses reg gas with no pinging,  any ideas out there,  thanks   jerry

rmk57

It could be the fuel boiling away in the gas line or float bowls. Pretty common with todays methanol gas. A solution may be to add a phenolic spacer or wrap the fuel line in heat dissipating sleeve.

I've noticed in mine when I park it for 4-5 days and then try to start it takes maybe 5 seconds to start due to the fuel evaporating from the float bowls.
I may add an electric pump one day to prime the fuel system for easier starts.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

clusterbuster

My 272 does about the same thing and I have a newly reman 2 barrel carb on it. It starts perfect cold, but after running it for a few miles and bringing it back home, it starts hard after sitting a while. I have the hot Petronix ignition with out any points to deal with, so I blame it on fuel some how. Maybe wrapping the fuel line would help, I don't know. Any one running points should consider getting rid of them and going with electronic. Petronix is easy as falling off a log to install.

Contibob

Hard to start as in cranks slowly or cranks fine just doesn't want to start?

clusterbuster

Mine cranks good but takes a while to fire up after it has been driven and shut down, say 20 minutes or so after shut down.

racton

:unitedstates:Ours all act pretty much the same.I dont know if you have a condenser but I would check it.Also remember they were recalled when new because of the same problem,and that was remedied with that fiber spacer under the carb.It was 100 here today and mine performed admirably.

geraldchainsaw

thanks for the info guys,   i had a 51 ford and the same problem,   and i used a electric  fuel pump to correct it,   now,  whats a good electric fuel pump to get?,    thanks     jerry

clusterbuster

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will try the phenolic spacer. I have the Holley carb  2 barrel  350 cfm model 7448 if anyone knows where to get a good deal on one.

hiball3985

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2016-07-23 14:07
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will try the phenolic spacer. I have the Holley carb  2 barrel  350 cfm model 7448 if anyone knows where to get a good deal on one.
You get what you pay for. I bought 2 different cheap ones from an auto parts store and neither one was flat. Good ones aren't cheap. You will probably need to install longer studs in the intake manifold also. This one seems reasonable, one for my 4V was twice as much.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canton-Racing-Carburetor-Spacer-2-Barrel-1-2-Phenolic-2-Hole-85-032-/391052790514
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

Thanks for the tip Hiball. Will check it out.

geraldchainsaw

some update info.    just for the heck of fit,   if you have a 312 check the routing of the gas lne,  it lays almost on the intake manifold,  it has to heat up,    now i just went for another run o n the michigan taylor telegraph cruise and then home,  and what i did seems to have worked,    i lifted the gas line up about 2" over the intake with a bra;cket,  simple fix i hope,  at least it seems to have worked,     sso until it screws up again thats the way i'll be using it,     jerry

clusterbuster

Wondering if anyone has used the 1 inch phenolic spacer on their stock Y block engine and ran into an air cleaner clearance between the hood. I suppose one could get a lower profile air cleaner if clearance is a problem.

rmk57

1/4"-1/2" should be thick enough spacer to take away most of the heat.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

geraldchainsaw

before i did the simple fix,  i tried the clnc on the air cleaner,  with a stock air cleaner,  and i used clay,  theres about 1 1/8" clnc

clusterbuster

Thanks for the tips guys.