News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'57 Rancher Shift Lever Removal

Started by RaptorAddict, 2016-09-24 14:24

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptorAddict

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am currently restoring my father 1957 Ford Ranchero and ran into a small issue that I cannot figure out. Basically he had put a C4 trans in many moons ago so he deleted the shift lever from the shift post. I finished restoring and painted the post, but bought a used lever and post assembled. Does anybody know how to remove the shift lever from the post? Seems like it's stuck and no way to get it out. I appreciate the help. I have an Instagram page (@1957_ranchero_build) on the build if anyone wants to see the progress.  Thanks guys!

Ford Blue blood

IF I remember correctly there is a fitting mounted to the bell that houses the turn signal parts.  The shift tube mounts on it and a similar fitting at the bottom.  The mount on the bottom is held on with an exhaust tube type clamp.  Might be it is just rusty and stuck.

Someone else might jump in here, just can't clear the fog on this one....slept more then once since I took mine apart....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Not sure exactly what you are asking. But the shift lever/handle has to be removed first by driving out the roll pin and pulling it out., The end of the shift lever fits into a notch in the stud that is attached the the turn signal housing. You can post pictures here that might help/show what you need help with.

I see we are neighbors..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RaptorAddict

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-09-25 08:50
Not sure exactly what you are asking. But the shift lever/handle has to be removed first by driving out the roll pin and pulling it out., The end of the shift lever fits into a notch in the stud that is attached the the turn signal housing. You can post pictures here that might help/show what you need help with.

I see we are neighbors..

Nice to know I have fello 57 Ranchero owners near by. I'm hope to be able to join up for some cruising once I'm finished!

As for the shift lever, the rubber boot was what was holding it up from sliding out. LOL! Now on to refinishing.

hiball3985

Quote from: RaptorAddict on 2016-09-30 08:12
Nice to know I have fello 57 Ranchero owners near by. I'm hope to be able to join up for some cruising once I'm finished!

As for the shift lever, the rubber boot was what was holding it up from sliding out. LOL! Now on to refinishing.
There are a few around. I have a friend with a finished wagon and working on a Ranchero now.
They have repop rubber boot/bushing/insulator if needed.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang