News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rims

Started by oldgasser, 2016-10-07 06:47

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Looking for advice on what 14 inch rims I can use on my 57 Ford Convertible for I'm contemplating on installing the Auto City Classic disk brake kit but understand my original rims will hit the caliber can you shed some light on this subject?
Thank you for your time.
Oldgasser

clusterbuster

As far as I know there are no 14 inch rims that will fit with the disk brake conversion on the rear. I had to go with the 15x7 rims when I converted to disk on the rear. When converting to disk on the front though, you can get away with using the 1980 Granada 14x7  inch rim for some of the conversion kits.  I used the Granada 14x7's when I converted my front to disc. The new Granada rims probably would still be available on EBay. I would check with the supplier if doing the fronts to see if their kits will work with a 14 inch.

RICH MUISE

When I did the rear conversion using the Summit kit (88 t-bird calipers), the kit said it would work with some 14" wheels. I had already converted to the 15" aftermarket wheels, but tried an oem 14" just to see if it would fit...it did not.
A note of caution on choosing a disc brake kit...and I think Clusterbuster will confirm this.....some are a real pita to hook up the e-brake cable so it doesn't interfere with other components. That's why I chose a kit with the '88 t-bird caliper the Bob Lee had put on his Custom. I have no idea how different the e-brake stuff is on your convertible with the X-crossmember though....and that might change the whole e-brake consideration.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

That's right Rich, I had trouble with my e brake cables hanging up on both dual exhaust tail pipes. I sold the calipers with the e brake mechanism and went with just a plain GM caliper. I plumbed my rear brake line into a brake lock switch mounted under the dash edge and it works really well. I can lock them and come out the next day and the pressure is still holding well until released by pressing the brake pedal.