News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Dallas auction with 57's

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-10-21 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

There's a Mechem auction coming up in Dallas that has at least a 1/2 dozen quality '57's ....at least as far as you can tell by the pics. 3 or 4 Rancheros, and some converts. One '58.
Not a one Custom or wagon though. Nice to see, and they're pretty close in quantity to '57 Chevy's for a change. I suspect some may be Jerry's classic cars or Minter restorations. Most appear to be factory type restorations...even down to the vacumn wipers

a link to the 50's era cars at the auction...(click the 50's on the left)
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?0=0&adtypeFacet=Vehicles%20for%20Sale&auction_id=139&sort=sort_time_desc&page_size=15&year_rangeFacet[]=1950%27s

This will only be active as long as the ad is on Hemmings
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I personally don't like auctions, and I won't make my comments on that  :003:. I may watch a few minutes of one or two a couple of times a year. It always leaves me wondering why so many cars are up for sale? Are people dumping their classics or just trying to line their pockets. I've also noticed that most of the bidders are old farts like us, I rarely see any younger buyers, does that mean the market is shrinking?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I never watch them anymore. It's kinda like going to a big car show and being forced to stop and look at ALL the tri five chevies and Yucko Camaros, Corvettes, and sadly for me, Mustangs too. Now, if they had an all-Ford day, or an all GM-less-the above mentioned Chevys-day, I'd watch.
That said, I would love to actually go to a big auction and treat it like a car show to view what I want to view.
I had an interesting discussion with a guy at the Goodguys show who spent some time looking at my car. He asked if it was for sale, and I told him no. He commented if I were ever to sell it, I'd do well at one of the bigger auctions. I commented about having so many mixed emotions watching the auctions, watching from a buyer prospective,it was either feeling sorry for myself for not having money to buy something going really cheap, and from a builder prospective feeling sorry for the seller who was probably losing his butt on the car. He replied that it's really not as it looks on TV most of the time...there's always  reason why a car is selling cheap. He said, honestly, I go to 2 or 3 big auctions every year, and your car at a BJ would probably bring upwards of 50 or 60k, and who knows if there's 3 or 4 money guys who want it. It's obviously had a lot of time spent on it , it's different, and visually this car has a lot of appeal, and that's the key. He probably works for one of these big auction companies...I didn't ask, lol.

RICH MUISE

With all of that said, Jim, as far as your comment on most of the guys being in our old farts age group. Yeah, for sure, but I've also been noticing alot of younger people at some of the events I've gone to this year. Goodguys in FW, and the Early iron show in Colorado had lots of younger folks. I just think there's not too many of the younger guys that don't have something better to do with any spare bucks they may have, at least as a big one time purchase. It's alot easier for someone without a heavy stash of cash to build a car piece by piece than buying one already done. It was for me. Besides, any classic car buff , if their young, are probably more into building than buying. Conversely, many of us old farts just don't have it in us anymore to do another build. It will be interesting (or scary) to see what happens over the next 10 years or so when many of the Baby Boomer generation collections are going to start hitting the market.

hiball3985

Rich, I can see we have totally different perspectives on auctions. When I watch I just see the auction people pressuring the bidders, driving the prices over what they are worth. Most of the bidders just have $$ to throw away and have never turned a wrench LOL.

There are a few younger guys or maybe I should say mid age that are interested in classics. When I say young I mean the kids that think souped up Honda's etc are so cool, I'd rather see them build a Cheevie  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I try to go every year to the Labor Day, Auburn, Indiana auction.  Five+ days of swap meet, car corral, vendors, and auctioning.  Good sized event with lots of everything.  I may spend a few minutes watching the auction while I take a break to have lunch.

SkylinerRon

A lot of cars are being sold because of owners passing and the family sells out.
Also some folks are funding their retirement by selling off their collections. (interest rates are ruining retirees income).

Some are buying as a place to invest as collector cars hold their values and the guvment has
ruined all other investments.

Ron.

RICH MUISE

Finally remembered to check the results.
One Ranchero sold for 29K, another bid to 50K, not sold, a miller restoration Ranchero went for 75K,a sunliner for 80k(?)and a convert for 60k(?). Shoulda written results down instead of relying on memory. There were 8 or 10 55-56 Birds that never made it to 30k by comparison.