News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

C4

Started by oldgasser, 2016-10-21 20:45

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

I have a C4 transmission in my 57 Ranchero & the speedometer needle started to fluctuate and more so at lower speeds anyway I removed the speedo gear ( plastic) from the transmission & noticed the teeth were worn does anyone know of a supplier for the speedometer gear?
Thank you for your time.
Oldgasser.

John Palmer

Drive gear worn a little?  Or completely worn off?

If they are slightly worn it's normal, and the usual fix for a bouncing speedo needle was to pull the cable loose at the speedo end and grease the inner cable.  The thickest wheel bearing grease works just fine on a speedo cable.

Also the drive gears came in different colors which denoted different tooth counts for different ring and pinion ratios.

lalessi1

Lynn

57chero

Go to Dallas Mustang parts and put speedometer gear in the search box, they have a good selection most of the early mustangs used the C4 trans.

thomasso

Wheel bearing grease may be fine in California.  If you live anywhere where the temperature gets below 60 you'll be sorry. Lubriplate assy. lube works well in colder climates.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.