News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

master cylinder retro fit

Started by hutchie, 2016-10-21 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

hutchie

I need help.(My wife keeps telling me that).
I have a 57 Country Sedan which is no big deal except I live in Perth, Australia which is not exactly full of 57's or relevant expertise...hence my request for help.
The previous owner (California,USA) fitted a dual master cylinder without a booster (still drums all round). The set up is "OK" but needs plenty of pedal pressure to pull up the wagon.
I'm thinking a simple solution would be to retro fit a standard master cylinder with a remote booster. I have done the remote booster thing to my 56 Customline (Australian) and my early Falcons and it works well.
So.... Seems to be two types of standard master cylinder for the 57. Slightly different bolt spacings? Am I right here??
         And I need a standard pushrod to suit. Anyone do them or just watch Ebay?
I have never posted on a forum before so pls be patient with me.
Warren.   

BWhitmore

Try dropnstop.com

I cannot remember his name but he is an expert on 57 Ford master cylinder conversions and disc brake conversions.  He is located in Southern California. 

hutchie

Thxs BW, I have found the website and will drop him a line.
To add (with some embaressment) I had a big person's look at a couple of websites and the different bolt spacings on 57 standard master cylinders are because of passenger and truck applications.
57's are a brave new world to me.

hutchie

Mysteries solved.
Thxs for the help.

Zapato

So what exactly was the fix,care to share.?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hutchie

Hi Z,
As I said at the start, the required pedal pressure was way too high (the wheel cylinders, hoses, lines are all OK) and I suspect the dual master cylinder set up requires boost for the best result. Anyway, a proven, simple solution for me with my other cars has been to  just add a remote booster to the stock set up. I understand the positive aspect of a dual master setup (safety) but I find it mildly irritating doing plug changes etc while working around a dual master and booster in the engine bay.
But to get started on the change back to original I had to know what original was with master cylinder and pushrod. Internet searches are great but sellers don't always describe accurately or use correct images and being over here in Oz you have to be very careful what you are buying from USA. Shipping is a killer and returns are often impractical. For example the bolt spacing thing was confusing me because  vendors/sellers were listing cylinders for 57 and 58 as the same and throwing Edsels/Mercurys/trucks etc into the mix. On checking the bolt spacing on my 57 firewall and my 56 Customline, they are the same so I know what I need. And I bought a push rod off Ebay after triple checking it was what I needed. I quickly add there are a lot of hidden differences between US models and Aussie models starting around 56 and we just didn't get your 57 at all (we just tarted up our 56 with a few Meteor bits and an Fordomatic,etc ) I'm getting side tracked.
Back to the shed.
Warren.