News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New guy with a new car

Started by Gibson68, 2016-10-23 03:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibson68

Hi guys-

I am new to the forum and new to 57's. I found my custom 300 sitting next to an abandoned house on a small farm 10 years ago. When I saw it I new I had to have it, I don't think I slept that night due to the anticipation of speaking with the owner the next day. My excitement was quickly extinguished after speaking with the owner for a few moments. He told me how that was his fathers car and how he was going to fix it up "one of these days". The plates looked brand new and read 1974. He then went on to tell me that over 100 guys had stopped by over the years trying to buy it. Every year for 10 years I visited this guy usually in the spring and then again in the fall slowly gaining ground. He was really proud of this car and had only been allowed to drive it a handful of times when his father owned it. I looked up the cars sticker price new in 57'. His father had paid $2205 for the car new on the lot. I went to the bank, pulled out $2205, drove to his house and gave him the envelope. I told him this is the exact amount your father paid for your car new. He thought it over.  That night I had the 57' in my driveway and now it's time to bring her back to life. I am looking forward to hearing from you guys and hopefully gathering some wisdom along the way.

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum. That was a neat story, glad you perservered.  So what are your plans for the car, and what part of the country are you from?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Welcome to the forum! That is a great story...Pictures....?
Lynn

Gibson68

I live in Grace Idaho which is a small town on the South East side. I consider myself a traditional hot rodder. I originally was going to stay with the y block, I purchased a recently rebuilt 312 and a 4 speed toploader. The same friend I purchased the 312 from called me up and wanted to sell his 428 CJ engine at a steal of a deal. My son and I pulled the 272 and 3sp w/od last saturday. The garage has two other projects going on so this one is in the drive way for now.

lalessi1

Thats awesome. I put a 428 (bored and stroked to 462 CI) with a 4 speed toploader in mine, it is a simple bolt in swap with the right parts. Lots of help available on the forum!
Lynn

Gibson68

The car was garaged until the mid 90's. I lucked out on that one. There is still plenty of rust repair to do though.

Gibson68

More pics, I am having issues posting more than one picture at a time.

Gibson68

The seats had covers on them since new. They were shot so I removed them. The back seat is like new. The front seat has some stains which I will try to steam out.

JPotter57

That blue and white combo on the Custom 300 is one of my favorite combinations, that and red and white.  Just a classy look in my opinion.  Goood call on the 428.  I lucked into a 427, which replaced my F-code 312 and supercharger.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

That's a pretty solid looking car to start with. Gonna make a cool ride.
You can't post more than one pic per post because you need to resize your pics. The MAX per post is 4k, and yours are more than 1/2 that. Easy way to resize is to right click on the photo you want to post, and chose "open with",paint from the drop down menu. When the pic opens in Paint, on the top left is a image button, click on that and you'll see a resize button in the top two boxes replace the 100% with 50%, then click save when you close that window.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Gibson68

I will be starting a build thread on this car. When I have question during the build do I post them in the build thread or in a separate catagory? For instance: what motor mount should I use on the 428, new 272 y block mounts or 58' 352 mounts. Should that question go in the racing/hot rod  catagory or stay in the build thread? I have LOTS of question, I want to do it right the first time.

racton

:unitedstates:   welcome Gibson...you will be glad you hooked up with us here.I am pretty new myself and I must say,this is a swell group of guys.Good Luck  racton

lalessi1

Quote from: Gibson68 on 2016-10-23 18:46
I will be starting a build thread on this car. When I have question during the build do I post them in the build thread or in a separate catagory? For instance: what motor mount should I use on the 428, new 272 y block mounts or 58' 352 mounts. Should that question go in the racing/hot rod  catagory or stay in the build thread? I have LOTS of question, I want to do it right the first time.

Aftermarket mounts typically are interchangeable between Y-blocks and FE's. Some say you reverse them for the FE's. My experience was using the Y block ones mounted in the standard direction worked fine. You can post questions almost anywhere and get answers... Don't ever hesitate to ask even what may seem a simple or even "stupid" question.  :003:
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

outstanding.... what a nice car..save them 57 fords!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JPotter57

Gibson, there is a separate section for build threads.  Go to the main menu, and it will right below this one in the general section.  Lots of good info here in the build section and in the various sub-forums, but dont hesitate to ask questions.  There's not going to be any forum police here asking "why you didnt use the search button before asking a question."  Other sites operate that way, not us.  We don't want to chase anyone away by acting like a jerk, so ask away.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.