News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57' Custom 300 hot rod

Started by Gibson68, 2016-10-23 19:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Gibson68

It sounds like my best bet is to buy the 67' mustang drum/drum master cylinder for now and when I do the switch to discs just get a different master cylinder. I have a couple of mustangs waiting for me when I get the 57' done so it's not a total loss. I read somewhere that the one of the best brake mods you can do on your car is upgrade to braided flex lines instead of standard flex lines. Is anyone here running braided or seen them available for 57'?

lalessi1

I have stainless braided hoses on my car and I have used them before, well worth the little added cost. I personally would NOT use stock brakes under any circumstances. Brand new from the factory a single hard stop from 70 mph, they fade to nothing and require several minutes to recover before the car can stop again. I have had personal experiences going back to "the day" that scared the crap out of me. I have Wilwood 4 piston caliper front brakes, stock rears, braided hoses, a 67 Galaxie disc/drum non-power master cylinder. The results... a rock hard pedal that will STOP the car.

That said, this guy does custom stainless brake hoses for any vintage car, I have used him twice and he is reaonably priced, quick and does excellent work.

Brake Hoses Unlimited
616-836-7885
NIck Christman
goodbrakes@brakehoses.biz
Lynn

Gibson68

I got a call from the machine shop yesterday and it looks like a new 12" clutch with new pilot/throw out is considerable cheaper than rebuilding my original 11-1/2". They are still waiting for the new ring gear to arrive for the flywheel. They should be ready early next week. I have a 67'fairlane wide ratio big block top loader that came with my 67' mustang convertible that I plan to use in this car due to it being incorrect for the mustang. The previous owner said he didn't recall having any issues with it. I plan on changing the input and output seal and changing the gear oil before installing it, any other things I should check out before install?

gasman826

Back in the old days, we flipped the ring gear...good for another 100k miles

I just put a pair of GOODBRAKE hoses on the Raunch Wagon disc brake upgrade.  Super fast delivery, fit great, fair price, custom applications, very pleased.

Gibson68

I picked up the freshly ground flywheel, new clutch, clutch alignment tool and two sets of used flywheel bolts last night after work. He was unsure which bolt length was correct for the flywheel. It's been awhile since I've ran a manual trans. Are there supposed to be washers on the flywheel bolts? What length of bolt would be correct for a 428?

Ford Blue blood

No washer, use Locktight.  For the manual I think they are 1 1/2" long....been a while.  Just try the long bolts, they should show a couple of threads out of the flange.  I do know the automatic bolts are shorter then the manual.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Gibson68

Well now that I have the 428 motor ready to go I have had a change of plans for this car. The 312 Y block on the stand has been haunting my dreams! The more I dig into the Y block info from Mummert, Tim McMaster and Eaton balancing the more I like them. Moving forward, I pulled the pan on 312 to give it a thorough inspection. After pulling the rod cap on piston #1 it's for sure, time for some machine work. This motor was defenitly rebuilt a long time ago. It had FOMOCO 40 over pistons, 10/10 crank, 5750-471 heads. I have done a bunch of research today looking for the max bore size for 312 blocks but there is not much out there. It looks like 292 blocks will go 60 over pretty easily but no info on 312. Mummert offers 60 over pistons for the block so some of them must make it. Looks like I am headed for a sonic test at the machine shop.

djfordmanjack

That's a great change of plans! The 1957 Ford mechanics handbook states 0.060 over max for 312 also.

Gibson68

I called my engine builder this morning. He has an awesome idea for a 351 stroker Y block that uses Buick pistons, sbc rods, topped off with mummerts heads and intake. As long as my 312 doesn't have too much core shift it should be fine at 60 over. I have been trying to get a hold of Mummert for a month now by voice mail, no luck yet. He must be a busy guy.

Gibson68

I was able to speak with John Mummert today. I am so impressed with the mountains of Y block knowledge that he has. We talked about how his heads as cast and his full race heads on this 351 build. With his full race heads, dished pistons to get the compression to pump gas friendly 10.5-11.0, 292 cam, topped off with his port matched intake we should be able to break 400hp pretty easily. I am excited to see what internals it takes to make a 351 Y block.

lalessi1

I am a big FE fan, more "bang for the buck". Same mods will give you over 500 HP on the 428. That said, there is a soft spot in my heart for Y blocks. I would feel in conflict too. I opted for the 428...   
Lynn

JPotter57

Me too.  I had a 57 312 that had just come from the machine shop.  It was complete with VR57(58) supercharger setup, and was preparing to build it and get it ready to go in.  I found out about my current 427 from my dad, so I put it on ebay before I even had it unloaded from my truck.  It sold that evening for my buy it now price.  I later sold the supercharger setup to a forum member.  I contacted the man about the 427, he agreed to sell it to me for a little less than I had gotten for the 312.  I bought it, put a new set of rings and bearigns in it, which it did not need.  It had less than 200 hours n it since new.  The hone marks were still in the cylinder bores.  This thing is super-cherry.  The only other mods, were a piston swap, a set of MR heads, tunnel wedge intake, 2x4 carbs from Carls, and Comp 294 solid cam.  Later on, I plan to change over to solid roller cam, and maybe add a little arm to the crank.  For now, I just want to drive it and enjoy it.  It hasnt moved under its own power since 1968.  It was run as a c or d gasser in the late 60s with 390 and 4 speed.  Like Lynn says, the FE is the bang for the buck, however, not much else sounds as sweet as a nicely built y block, I love the sound.  The only reason I switched from the Y was because of the 427.  I wouldnt have done it for a 390 or 428.  The only other FE I would have run instead of the Y would have been a 406 3x2v.  Whichever you choose, it will be great.  Mummert is THE Y block man, and Ted Eaton is right there with him.  He is the one responsible for the 604 hp Y block at this years engine masters competition.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

What year 427?  The winter of '71-72, I stumbled onto a 427.  It had a OEM 2x4 intake with the one piece Cobra air cleaner, a Mallory dual point, M/T valve covers, deep oil pan, and Hooker headers.  There was some porting work on the heads and Jahns 13:1 pistons.  I had no cam card and no numbers on the cam but an etched C7xxxxxxxx OEM style part number.  Around Detroit, stuff had a tendency to surface with no history.  I also installed a pair of new Holley 660s.  This engine was radical...NASCAR stuff.  I put it in a Mustang.  It turned my mom and dad's hair gray.  I visit a shut-in friend a couple times a month.  This guy is mister 427.  He has an original, unrestored '64 Galaxie light weight.  He drives it a little every summer except this year.  He still has pieces and parts of 427s and a few SOHC pieces.  It's been years but I remember a fully assembled SOHC motor on a stand in his garage.   His major conversation piece is a fully assembled 427 stroker in his man cave.

JPotter57

mine is a 66 spec, though the block is actually 70.  It came from a Chris Craft cruiser, fresh water, closed system.  The hour meter on the boat showed around 220 hours, so this was a very low use engine, as evidenced by the zero wear in the bores, bearings, etc.  I got rid of al the cast iron boat stuff, put in 66-67 427 MR spec parts including pistons, so this one is ready to rock.  I really want an oil pan like the one in your photo, that's the C8AX pan, factory muscle parts pan.  It would work way better in my 57 than the Canton T pan I have..its pretty close...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Stay with the 'T' pan.  That old pan hung down way too low.