News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-10-27 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

Since getting this car..It's been mostly a maintenance issue....... so far... a lot of clean up
Good tune on the drivetrain.. wires, plugs, Carb rebuild,etc etc.
But it's coming slowly

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Things that have been done so far....
New fuel tank....original was filled with junk and garbage.
New fuel sender and new fuel lines.
Replaced the rear bumper----old one was so banged up.
New exhaust, the previous owner  backed in to a curb or so and smoked the pipes and bracketry.... had a major exhaust leak... but thankfully the exhaust manifolds were not damaged.
At first I was told all the tires were new.... well they were..but the car was un-used for a while the fronts developed dry rot...so new fronts have been replaced.
Brakes are all new and new masters have been installed.
Front suspension is good and tight..but the factory sway bar had been out of joint for years...fixed that.
Shift points adjusted on the C-6 and works very well with a nice hard shift at about 4500rpm....otherwise.normal cruising is very favourable.
Trashed the $40 dollar Chinese Summit valve covers for some stock covers..... I noticed that the bolts very super loose... upon tightening them down semi snug..... the rockers got very noisy and started to punch through the cheap covers.I measured the height and a factory set of tin covers were 1/4 inch higher.
Problem solved..... but I never heard of this..ever......
New fuel lines,new fuel pump and filters.After changing the tank... it was a good idea to replace it all.
Interior has all been painted and only a very few small pin holes were located in the trunk area after really looking at it and a very good cleaning.This car was VERY dirty.

With every build I have done in the past..... they always started at ground zero.....meaning I stared to pull everything apart and go at it.
Not with this car.I have much to do and Wiring is next.I have seen the Narragansett kits and i would love to get one..I will go another route and get a simple 12 circuit system..... Cost is an issue.I want to drive this and do work at it comes....making it roadworthy is the goal right now.I just can't mentally take 5-8 years on a complete build....done that too many times.and its too draining.

Anyhow..I will update as more progress continues.
Eventually I will replace the rockers,and rear lower quarters.... but it's not a major issue at his moment

rmk57

Never heard of rockers hitting valve covers either, unless there rollers. Is that the FE or 460 57?

Was it originally black?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

It's an early 460... I inquired about the covers to some local Ford guys and they asked if it had cheap off shore valve covers.....and yes it did.
They are now replaced with Orinal Ford tin covers.
I have the codes and the car was Dresden Blue and colonial white.The doors are off a black 57....

rmk57

Iv'e always liked the look of the "Power By Ford" early covers anyway. Only other ones I'd swap out for would be the original aluminum
Cobra-jets or the Blue Thunder plain finned ones. If you ever put in a bigger cam or rollers in you would a least have to double up on
the gaskets for the stock tin covers.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

That car is the bomb, man.  I like everything about it.  Drive it and enjoy it.. i have had mine going on 10 years, and have yet to drive it.  I cant see me taking it back down once it is driving. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

djfordmanjack

we've all had these major projects, and your show cars were no slouches, Jeff. You did the utmost right thing to keep this car together and make it a rolling restoration, Congrats to that decision, honestly !!!
that car is supercool and it's even cooler when driven daily.
Although everybody and especially Jay warned me not to tear it apart, my Del Rio is in 1000 pieces and will be for another 5-10 years. Even though I always do things on it.
My next car is on the way and I will handle it completely different this time. clean it, repair it, drive it, repair it some more, and again drive it.
those Custom 300 2drs are just really mean street warriors. they look fast even when standing still. love it !

RICH MUISE

Couldn't have said it better than DJ. Totally agree.
So, the plan is what now on the first one? Now that you have a dd with this one, it would be the best of both worlds to tear into the second one.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Agreed Guenther..... Time is a real precious commodity.With my daughter finishing High school and then heading to University in a year soon..plus my work schedule is so heavy..time is a very hard thing to get with me.

Rich, I have the other 57 in a storage facility at the present time.....truth be told..I have run out of space to work on it,... Since winter is nearly here now.. the last spot is taken by my wife.The Other 57 (my first one is too nice to be left outside during the winter months....or really at any time.)The North East just has to much moisture for that and it would be eaten alive.
I thought about a Lift..but the shop's ceilings are too low.

Anyhow...I still have lots to do on this 57....I have to re-wire and install a new gauge cluster.
This car needs a bit of TLC....The previous owner had very bad health issues and just could not work on it anymore.I hold nothing against him as he is a fine gentleman.

And yes Guenther, ...Jay is correct...... always has given sound advice.

And thanks James for pushing me to go after this 57.... it's been really worth it.
I shall post up more progress very soon!

Thanks guys.

JPotter57

Doing my duty, man..lol
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Valve covers:  I have Harland Sharp roller rockers on one of my 460s.  The OEM Cobra Jet, Ford Racing  and old time Mickey Thompson aluminum valve covers clear with no issues.  I've even had OEM tin covers temporarily installed.  If I installed stud girdles, the OEM, Cobra Jet covers would not clear.

Major projects VS Beaters:  I started with a '57 Beater...not quite Rat Rod but just barely functional.  I cut it up, modified, and up graded what was necessary to keep it moving faster and more reliable.  Completed 2009 Hot Rod Power Tour with it as a 'work in progress'.  Best trip ever!!!!  I tore it apart in 2009 to finish it out.  It seems a million hours has went into it with a million to go.  Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed...my biological clock is ticking real loud!  I bought the Raunch Wagon beater as something to drive in the interim.  I've added new tires, wheels, power disc brakes, aluminum radiator, heater, LED bulbs, radio, rebuilt the transmission and rear end, new windshield and a few other things.  Power steering is on the list as well as replacing the door glass and anti rattle hardware.  The rockers and quarter bottoms are raggedy and the 30 year old Earl Scheib, charcoal grey paint is dull, peeling and looks like primer.  This car is my daily driver.  Anytime---anywhere.  When people ask;  "When you going to paint it"?  I just smile, start it up, listen to the glass packs, and drive away.  I'm 17 again!

Jeff Norwell

Perfect answer Gary.

Jeff Norwell

Cleaning up the engine and bay.as I mentioned ,rebuilt 650,stocker valve covers new fuel system etc,etc....

Jeff Norwell

I really love 58-59 Air Cleaners

djfordmanjack

What Gary says ! There has never been a time in the last 20 years that I didn't have a beater car to drive, while having nicely finished ones also.
What comes to mind when you look at your engine compartment, freshly serviced parts pop out much more and they bring a lot of joy, knowing what you have acomplished. with full restos in the zillions of details you loose the fun in making a single part nice and shiny/properly working. on daily drivers fresh paint  on aircleaner and valve covers cost maybe $20 for the rattle cans but it looks like a $2000 engine overhaul....  :003: