News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cutting keys for the doorlocks ?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-01 14:37

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtop

on my courier the door and ignition are the same and tailgate and glove box  are the same glove box tailgate are round key and has ben the same the last wagon I had

Zapato

Quote from: ragtop on 2016-11-02 18:33
on my courier the door and ignition are the same and tailgate and glove box  are the same glove box tailgate are round key and has ben the same the last wagon I had

Same on my 51 coupe, believe that is pretty much same on Ford's for many years, think my 66 fairlane was that way also.

Zap  :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

djfordmanjack

now I'm going out to look and check for the glovebox lock and hopefuly I can find the tailgate one also. somethings phoney here with my Del Rio.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Zapato on 2016-11-02 19:05
Same on my 51 coupe, believe that is pretty much same on Ford's for many years, think my 66 fairlane was that way also.

Zap  :unitedstates:

My 65 Bird is the same key for doors and ignition.  Glove box and trunk are the same.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Since I'm using a late model column, had locksmith key the doors, glove box and trunk the same...round key.

Lou

Ignition and glove box are the same, doors and trunk are the same, when new.

BWhitmore

Ford Blue blood

Can't say about the Ranchero as the ignition key has been long gone.  The 300 had the same key for the ignition and doors.  I know the 300 was bone stock as it had never been apart.  I am using the ignition switch from the 300 and will use the door locks from it and I can say the lock for the glove box door from the 300 does not work with the ignition key.  Can't say the Retractable is bone stock from the factory but the ignition switch does both, have not tried the glove box and there was only one key that came with it.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

today I checked all of the keys from my Del Rio and I think they replaced or reworked some locks. the round key will unlock the doors AND tailgate. the squarish key will only unlock the ignition. none of them will unlock the glovebox.... :005: :003: it seems totally wrong to what most all of you said about their og cars.
now that I see that the round door key is going into the ign lock, I will rework its tumblers to door lock specs and maybe I can do the glovebox too. both keys go in that.

Ecode70D

Guenter
   This is going to be a nice winter project for you when you are buried under the snow and don't feel like going out.   It's a nice clean "in the house job."
    I put the springs and tumbler pieces in separate bowls to make it easier when fitting the pieces into the lock assemblies.
    When you get into it, you will develop a system.  Just remember that it can be done without filing any tumblers.     

djfordmanjack

I will keep that in mind and try moving the tumblers around. I will post about my efforts later.

lalessi1

The intention was for the door/ignition key to be used as a "valet" key, the trunk/glove box was not to be given to a parking attendant to give the owner a safe place for valubles. Common practice.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-11-04 08:02
The intention was for the door/ignition key to be used as a "valet" key, the trunk/glove box was not to be given to a parking attendant to give the owner a safe place for valubles. Common practice.
Damn! you are so smart, I would have never thought of that, but then again I would never let a valet touch my car  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

racton

:unitedstates:My 300 had been sitting for 13 years and nobody had the keys.I removed the doorlock(same as ignition)trunk and glovebox are the same key but the trunk has 2 more cuts.The glovebox is the least secure by design.There are only so many combinations.A locksmith put all the combinatons on a sheet of paper and starts in a particular order so as not to cut too deep thus ruining the key,trying the key after every cut.Sometimes the locksmith will need an additional blank in order to exhaust all combinations.My trunk was locked so it required several trips to the locksmith until we got the right combo.The first three cuts are the same as the glovebox...........I hope this helped.......racton

djfordmanjack

wow, that's some more interesting info coming up here! it means as soon as I have the right key for the trunk lock I only have to remove the other tumblers of the glovebox lock and it should be able to work on the trunk key.
Most vintage European cars also have a seperate key for the trunk and dash, for the reason Lynn stated.
Either somebody changed the lock on my tailgate. Or would it make sense that in a wagon ( where you have no trunk), the tailgate lock would be the same as on the doors? can any wagon owner confirm that their door locks work the tailgate also ?
You were all talking about sedan trunks!?