News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cutting keys for the doorlocks ?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-01 14:37

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Raunch Wagon doors and tailgate are the same.

Ecode70D

Man Lynn
    You sure are smart.   I would have never figured that out.   In the old days they probably did let the valet park the car.  Today people would be more inclined to break his arm if he even suggests touching  the car.   They wouldn't even know what the pedal to the left of the brake pedal is for anyways.
     So if some of us set the car up for one key, it might more convenient  because most likely the owner will be the only driver.

djfordmanjack

Today I had my key cut to the code on the pssgr door lock at a local locksmith. It worked out great and the door key also DOES UNLOCK the glove box compartment. My Country sedan is a very original car and it seems that nothing had been changed on it. Maybe this is a San Jose factory thing but ONE key does doors, gate AND glovebox, and the other is for iginition. This is exactly what I have here in my car.

cokefirst

there was a company called Curtis Industries.  They made code cutters for all American and most foreign cars with the code books.  Some locksmiths have these machines.  They made two styles, one uses a big wheel with a gray gun shaped cutter.  The later ones, used from the Late 1960's through the 1990's use cams and carriages so the cutter can be used to cut keys for several makes.  The electronic keys with chips pretty much killed the business, but there are tons of those key machines out there.  They also made a cutter to cut Master padlock key from the code.  Ask your dealer if he still has his Curtis key cutter.  Almost every dealer had one.  Many still may have them in a drawer.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

Ecode70D

Does someone out there have a picture of Curtis key cutter that cokefirst is talking about?  It sounds like a nice tool to have.

Ecode70D

Thanks Gary
     Now I wonder how many times I may have walked past those things at flea markets and never bothered to pick one up to look at it.     I'll be more careful now.   I would have to assume that they have different ones for different types of locks. 
     We learn something every day.   Jay

djfordmanjack

crazy tool ! Very interesting, thanx !

Ray

ditto with Lynn, ignition and door, truck and glove box. I've owned a number of these cars in the day, all the same.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird