News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Speedometer Driving Me Crazier

Started by lalessi1, 2016-11-18 12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Recently rebuilt my 4 spd. Toploader. I just got around to installing a new speedometer cable. Speedo was working before rebuild but the cable housing was kinked and the speedometer was a little bouncy. Now I can't get the speedometer to work. I pulled the cable from the speedo end and drove around the block to check if the cable was turning...it was. I cut the old cable and connected it to the back of the speedometer and turned the other end with a drill and the speedometer worked. I pulled the transmission end and reinstalled the new cable at the speedometer end first, spun the new cable with the drill before putting on the gear on and the speedometer worked... checked the gear on the cable end reinstalled it. Everything seems good. Speedometer still does not work????
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, when you drove it around with the cable connected did you notice if the odometer was changing?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

No I didn't, good point. I will check and see (I doubt it will).
Lynn

hiball3985

I remember one time having a mismatch between the drive and driven gears, speedo didn't work and odometer went backwards  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SanoDano

My odometer runs backwards too.
But my speedometer works correctly and is in fact quite accurate.  I don't have a clue what to do about fixing the odometer.
The more I drive it, the more the miles just roll off.  Like a time machine.  I have a spare speedometer here on my desk.  I stare at it often and cannot see anyway I could make the speedometer go forward and the odometer run backwards if my life depended upon it.   Can't see anyway to install a gear or worm-drive  backward.  Just one of life's 1957 Ford mysteries I guess.
I have given up and moved on.  Transmission is a C-6 by the way if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

Dan.

lalessi1

On toploaders there are different tailshafts for different cars most have the speedometer drive off the right side instead of the left side like '57's. There are right and left hand driven gears. I am supposed to have the correct gear and it worked before the I rebuilt the tranny. I am hoping there is nothing wrong on that end, but I could pull the tailshaft if I needed too. I did think the drive gear (black) on the output shaft was a little looser than I thought it should have been.

If the C-6 speedo drive is on the right side and you are using a left hand gear (or vice versa), I am thinking the cable will spin in the wrong direction from the original?
Lynn

hiball3985

Lynn, when you tested with the cable disconnected at the speedo was it turning clockwise?

Not related to your problem and I can't remember which car I put a toploader in now but it did come off the passenger side and I can't remember if I had to change the drive or driven gear to make it work correctly, I also think I had to change to a longer cable from a Galaxie.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I think it was turning clockwise. The Galaxie toploaders speedo drive is on the left, same as a stock '57. I got a longer cable....84"? I am gonna start over again, I have no drill now...long story.
Lynn

hiball3985

Strange, you would think with that trans it would work without issues. I'm dealing with a minor speedo issue too, I'm just don't want to pull the cluster again  :003: Mine sticks from 0-20 mph unless I hit the dash and then it pops loose, from 20-90 it runs smooth as glass..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Hoosier Hurricane

You mentioned that you thought the drive gear was a little loose on the shaft.  When you installed it on the shaft, is it possible that the little ball that acts as a key for the gear fell out, and now the drive gear is just spinning on the shaft?  Stick your finger in the hole in the trans and see if you can spin the gear on the shaft.   John

lalessi1

I was pretty careful with the little ball, but you never know. I will try that, in my mind I "proofed" that end but I obviously have overlooked something. I am leaning to a sticky speedo, if the odo is turning that is answer. It worked with the drill but that is kinda a "shock" compared to driving around the block.
Lynn

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Not yet. I am in a Thanksgiving hold.... I may check today and see if the odometer is turning since we are looking at much needed rain for the next couple of days.
Lynn

hiball3985

OK, I'm in the same boat, much needed rain yesterday, really not enough to do much good and more later today. I need to pull the cluster and take the speedo apart to see why it's sticking..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Well the odometer wasn't turning...but I believe I have discovered my problem. When I originally put the toploader in the car I ordered a left hand speedometer  driven gear when I actually needed a right hand one. Apparantly it somehow worked but not correctly, that is why the driving gear in the transmission was loose and worn. I ordered a right hand driven gear and I will change the drive gear on the tailshaft. I am fairly sure that is what the issue has been all along.
Lynn