News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Speedometer Driving Me Crazier

Started by lalessi1, 2016-11-18 12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

Not sure if its the same thing, but years ago, I owned a 1970  Mustang Mach 1, with a 428 Cobra Jet and 4 speed toploader, and when I swapped out the factory 3.50 rearend gears, for 4.30s, which were a factory option, I also ordered  the correct speedo gear from my local Ford dealer for use with the 4.30s. However, when I took it for a test drive, the speedo didn`t work. But it DID work, when I was driving in reverse! At the time I was unaware that the "Drag Pack"Mustangs, that were equipped with either the 3.91 or 4.30 optional axle ratios came with a gear reduction unit that was attatched to the transmission tailhousing, and between the trans speedo gear, and the speedo gear on the cable. Because of that, the gears were cut on the opposite angle, thus my speedo cable was turning in the wrong direction. Does your speedo work if you are backing the car up?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I did check in reverse...nothing. The determining factor in my case is the drive gear on the output shaft of the transmission. Toploaders can have the speedometer driven from the left (drivers side) side of the transmission for cars like the Galaxies, early Fairlanes, and Sunbeams or the right hand side like Mustangs, Torinos, and late model Fairlanes. My transmission is out of a Mustang (RH). The drive gear inside the transmission is different for right or left speedo outputs. The driven gears must match the drive gear so there are right and left driven gears too. I bought a left hand driven gear a couple of years for a toploader not knowing all the details. I am surprised It could be installed at all....probably "fit" because the gears are plastic. My speedometer bounced at slow speeds and I lubed the cable to no avail, unmatched gears the problem I now suspect. Drive gears for left hand speedo output toploaders are not readily available but driven gears are. I did learn a couple of other things as well. Speedometers are designed to register 60 mph at 1000 cable rpm. The number of teeth on the driven gear can be calculated if you know the number of teeth on the drive gear, in my case 6 teeth (pink drive gear):

Engine RPM @ 60mph             
        Number of Driven Gear Teeth =  ___________________      X    Number of Drive Gear Teeth

17 = 2806/1000 X 6

So I bought a 17 tooth right hand speedometer gear.  :003:

Lynn

hiball3985

I know what you are going through, same problem I ran into when I swapped the three speed for a top loader in my 66 Mustang. I don't remember what other car I had that required changing the left hand drive gear for a right or the other way around :003: , I still have one of each I kept for the future and that was probably 30 years ago.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I have that issue solved...just ordered a GPS speedometer. Just wire power to it, plug in the gps receiver, and go. No cables, no pulse generator signals, gearing and tire sizes don't matter. Much faster response time than the mph indicator on a regular GPS. Looks no different than a standard round speedometer.  :burnout:
The obvious downside...it ain't gonna fit a stock '57 dash.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

clusterbuster

That sounds interesting Rich. Where are you going to mount it and how about a picture of it when you get it?

RICH MUISE

I'll try to post a pic, but it's a png file...not sure if most can open it up...let me know. I've got a PhotoShop program that opens them.
Edit....windows photo gallery opens it.
It'll just be replacing the one that's already there that I can't get to work. Some time next year I'll replace the rest of them so they match.

http://www.speedhut.com/about-speedometers.html

American made, design your own...pretty cool. Expensive but on sale this month for 15% off. Mine is similar to the pic I posted, not exact. This was someone else's design. I opted for a dome shaped glass to eliminate the big black button. Mine will have the remote button under the dash. It's a compass, 1/4 mile timer, 0-60 timer, trip odometer, etc etc. The speedometer alone as I designed is 245ish. I also opted for a different font

Sorry for the Hijack Lynn and Jim.....kinda fit as an alternative to the hassles of retrofiting an oem to work.
PS...check out the gps speedo video at the bottom of the page I posted a link to...particularly the response time when they were on the roadcourse.

RICH MUISE

I just found out it also has an elevation readout...supercool when your in the mountains as I often am. I was actually looking for one of those a few years ago...couldn't find one.

RICH MUISE

So, Lynn...had a chance to check out that new gear?

lalessi1

Yep, sorta! I put the RH 17 tooth gear in the car and the speedometer worked, sorta. I have a black drive gear and I am sure it is worn from trying to mesh with a LH gear. I have a new pink drive gear which should give me the correct ratio with the 17 tooth gear I bought. I just need to pull the tailshaft housing to change it out. I am positive this will fix the issue. I feel like an "expert" on the subject now... :003:
Lynn

lalessi1

Hooray!!! I pulled the tailshaft on my transmission (it was a pain with my exhaust now installed) and replaced the 7 tooth black drive gear with a 6 tooth pink one. The right hand black gear was chewed up trying to mesh with a left hand 21 tooth gear, DUH! I put the car back together with a new 17 tooth right hand driven gear, new 6 tooth pink right hand drive gear, and a new speedometer cable. Success!!!

I hope this stupid mistake on my part will keep somebody else from traveling down the same path! :003:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

59meteor

Glad you finally got your speedo situation sorted out Lynn. Wondering where you obtained a speedo cable long enough to go to the passenger side speedo hole. Did you have one custom made, if so , what length did you choose, and if a factory application cable works, what is the application?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

The part number is ATP Y801. It is still available from almost any parts store, Summit, eBay etc. I bought mine from RockAuto, under $10. It is 82" long. It fits a bunch of Fords.
Lynn