News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Three speed column controlling an automatic.

Started by Geofordman, 2016-11-21 22:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Geofordman

I was wondering if anybody had been able to make a three in the tree column shift an AOD trans. Or do you guys feel that a proper auto column is the way to go... Cause that's gonna be a lot of extra work.

lalessi1

For what its worth, my car had an AOD operated by a manual column. No starter lockout, no indicator, no park detent, still had the clutch pedal... I put a 4 speed in it. Auto column seems simpler and better.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Yes, the column in my Ranchero is a 62 Bird which has roughly the same operating leverages and parts.  The shift lever hits the proper detents in the column at the same time the detents in the AOD are hit.  Took several tries to get the length and angle of the lever on the transmission correct but I did hit the "sweet" spot.

That said, it is not a bolt in.  Just work at it and keep trying.  There is a photo of what I ended up with on my build thread "Ranchero build".
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

if you look under my 4.6 swap you will see what i did for a shift linkage

Ford Blue blood

Forgot to add, the column is still 100% stock so the back up light and neutral safety still hit when the detents in the column hit.  I modified the lever on the transmission so it would hit it's detents at the same time as the column.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6035.0;attach=15400;image

Pic of the final product....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2016-11-23 06:39
Forgot to add, the column is still 100% stock so the back up light and neutral safety still hit when the detents in the column hit.  I modified the lever on the transmission so it would hit it's detents at the same time as the column.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6035.0;attach=15400;image

Pic of the final product....
back up and neutral safety switch is on the side of the trans on the aod

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2016-11-23 19:15
back up and neutral safety switch is on the side of the trans on the aod

Yup, not using them, using the column ones.....cars with automatic transmissions MUST have a neutral safety switch!  A fellow 57 owner (not on this site, friends with me and a friend in TN who has a 57 HT) in NH was pinned between his door and the upright of his lift.  His wife was at work and his cell phone was on the work bench.  Yup, he was there until the car ran out of gas.  Tommy was lucky to be alive, he never did get to 100% after that.  He passed a couple years ago due to complications from agent orange.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

suede57ford

You can modify an original automatic shift lever and rod to work perfect with the detents on an AOD and still line up with the letters on the indicator.    The lower lever should have about a 1.5 or larger distance throw with the trans lever modified to be angled down and ahead.   

The lever on the column needs the hole redrilled in about 1" closer to the gearshift shaft.

Modify the rod to fit between those points with a way to do final adjustments.

AOD's have a built in neutral safety switch, use it, and get rid of the 57-59 style.   Ron Francis makes a harness if necessary.

I even went as far to use a three speed indicator of '58 or '59 and repainted the letters white as original '57 would be.   An original '57 with the D and 1 can be used successfully as well.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429