News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ford Country Sedan mocha silver V8 4dr wagon

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-29 03:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Well, this is my new 1957 Ford project. As some of you might already know I am totally addicted to the fifty-seven wagons and I have my 2dr Del Rio Ranch Wagon in the makings. That project went way out of what was originally planned and will take another 5-10 years to finish so I needed to get another 57 inbetween. I had been looking for 57s and investigating many cars for years, nearly giving up until finally finding a nice, reasonable project car in ? of all places ? Birmingham, England! It also happened that a friend of mine lives close and he assisted in making the deal for me. Talking about good friends when you need them. The wagon originally came from California and is quite sound. It has the usual floorboard rust that needs repaired and had some nasty rain gutter rust that the former owner repaired already.
There is some more rust areas in the a post dogleg area and a few small spots around the car. Other than that still a nice and solid, 99% original old 57 Ford wagon. The lower 4 inches of the car are great with original rockers, quarter panels, frontend and spare tire well still all untouched and intact.
The Country Sedan still has the original drivetrain in it, which after some tune up is still running strong. Since we wanted to meet anyways for other reason, I agreed with my English mate, I would be paying him getting the car over, which is what he did, a solid 1000 miles on the road in 1-1/2 days and at around 15mpg.
I had to promise to myself and especially Jay in Mass, that I would not start restoring it and keep it one piece without getting distracted too much, whis is exactly what I will do. Since it turned out so nice and original, I think that the repairs should be done good quality though to make it last.
Still I plan to repair as little and drive it as much as possible. 

djfordmanjack

few detail shots

djfordmanjack

some more

djfordmanjack

of course there is the other side and this needs to be dealt with soon.

djfordmanjack

still alive and well  :003:

RICH MUISE

That car is surprisingly sound in most areas. Check the drain plugs on the inner rear quarters...they look like they need to be cleaned out, but you probably knew that. TA pillar work won't be too bad for someone with your skills....is it both pillars, or just the driver's side? The floorboard area that the PO must have started look amazingly solid under where the old floorboard was removed.

Question: on the inner rear quarters, that car appears to be smooth shaped metal...previously replaced? Unless the wagons are different from the passenger cars, there would be heavy verticle ribs formed into that panel every 4 or 5 inches.

Nice aquisition, DJ. Congrats, and thanks for sharing. I think your plans for this one are right on.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

junior58

Awesome rolling restoration, looks like nothing that can't be fixed while still using it. Good find.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Gibson68

When I was younger there is no way I would own a wagon. Now everyone I see, I want! That's a good one you have there.

djfordmanjack

Thanx guys !
Rich, the wagons have all flat inner rear quarters without the ribs.
Had the CS on the lift yesterday and I am blown away by the condition of the frame, rockers, wheelwells, quarters. all solid and dry and 100% og. yes both a posts are rottet on the outer skins at the doglegs. the raingutters were rustet through in places and obviously let the water down in the posts and on the floorboards. rear floorboards have been cut out and again need replaced too. still a fair amount of work to be done.

Jeff Norwell

G!.... wagon looks terrific!.... very clean and with your talent.. it will be amazing.I too am doing a rolling resto of sorts...I feel its the best way to have fun.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

Done quite a lot of smaller projects on the wagon.
keys and locks sorted.
cheap home improvement porch carpet for cargo area, full length.
gas pedal screws sorted.
cleaned all switch terminals and dash lights dimmer and works like new again.

djfordmanjack

cleaned debris from inside pssgr door
and put important sticker on  :002:
Rod&Surf by Mooneyes was applied by former owner but I think it fits the car well.

lalessi1

It sure looks solid! Gotta love that sticker!
Lynn

hiball3985

What a great find and should make a good project. I really wish you people would stop stealing our cars or just take the Chevies  :003: :003: :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Just helping California getting rid of their environmental hazards since 1973.... :002:

Honestly you guys should start thinking about buying back cars from Europe, now that the excange rate has dropped to nearly 1 to 1.
Sometimes looking through the classifieds it feels as if there were more vintage American cars in Sweden and Germany than in the US by now. A lot of cars have been shipped over the last 10 years.
I am sure glad that the previous English owner brought this one over for me to have. It has quite some floorboard and a-post rust (like most 57s from factory design) but is unbelievably original and sound in the rockers, fenders, quarter panels.
I am really starting to like this old wagon.